What did you do to your Sport Trac today?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i somehow managed to pop one side of my tailgate off. doesnt wanna pop back on. ill probably ratchet strap it closed till i can figure it out. ugh

I finished replacing my body mount bushings today with the red prothane bushings. Had that set for almost 5 years, so clearly procrastination is not a problem for me. The rust on those bolts were insane, but I have to remember that the truck spent its first 3 years of life up in the Chicago area. Ended up snapping both A bolts, but thankfully already had replacement ones ready. All new washers for all positions too. I hope that this is the last mechanical job for a while as in the last 6-9 months I have done:

upper & lower control arms
Sway bar links and bushings
Rear leaf springs
Front wheel hubs
fuel pump & tank straps
Front rotors & calipers

I want to replace the stock radio with something in the next few weeks and start replacing the cluster and console bulbs with led. The interior cab lights and all exterior light (except main headlights) are currently led.

I gave mine a bath, and cleaned up the inside. I also pulled out the factory bed mat and scrubbed it, as well as the bed itself.

Last edited:
I finally got new wheels and tires for my '03 XLT. This has been a long time coming - after new suspension, front end, leveling kit, body mounts.
This is by no means it's final form, but it is finally starting to align with my vision for it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240227_205917755.jpg
    PXL_20240227_205917755.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Well not quite today but very recently. Fixed the overhead console display for probably the fourth time in 23 years I've owned my Gen 1 ST. Also replaced 2 Door Striker Bushings that had finally worn out. I was going to make new ones from some PEX Tubing but the OD was a little large and not having a lathe, just bought the Dorman ones from Amazon and used the Bushings from them. I'm glad to say they were an exact fit. The doors close like new. I also had the Driver's Seat bottom cushion rebuilt since I could not find a replacement. That's the second time I've done that. Then the most depressing item was in the 23 years I've owned it, I never put even a small dent in it and about a month ago, I backed into a stone mail box structure, scratched the Bumper Cover and broke the plastic reinforcing bar. It also put a deep scratch in the fender below the Taillight. Quotes to fix it are all over the place. Almost no one wanted to use wrecking yard parts so the cost is very high. I'm looking for the parts now but that was depressing to say the least. Other than that it still runs great and with 215,000 miles uses absolutely no oil, original transmission, starts every time and idles rock solid. The Bumper fiasco was a real bummer!!

I finally got new wheels and tires for my '03 XLT. This has been a long time coming - after new suspension, front end, leveling kit, body mounts.
This is by no means it's final form, but it is finally starting to align with my vision for it.
Looks awesome man! Good lookin tires, what are they?

Performance Replicas/PR185/16.0X8/MATTE BLACK (5x)
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 31.8"x9.3"
Lug nuts (1/2" Thread Bulge Acorn 1.38" Lug Nuts Black 13/16" Hex)

I bought the wheels from Tires / Wheels Direct, and although they could only source two of them (the Matte Black), they worked with the manufacturer to drill out some of their blanks to fill the order (no additional cost). I highly recommend them.

I bought the tires from Belle Tire. I have the same wheel/tire combo on my Jeep Wrangler (10.5"), and I always liked the look of it. These tires are super quiet, long-lasting, and really grippy on the road. I decided to go with the narrowest version of them (9.3") to add some extra stability, improve mileage, and reduce the potential for rubbing during sharp turns. Also, I didn't want to add wheel spacers and fender flares. This thing doesn't have the tightest turning ratio, and I'm still getting used to it (my Wrangler turns on a dime and I'm used to just slipping into small parking spaces).

Last edited:
My doors don't sound real solid when they close and the passenger door is often difficult to close. Is that due to bushings, and if so, where can I buy replacements?

scratched the Bumper Cover and broke the plastic reinforcing bar. It also put a deep scratch in the fender below the Taillight. Quotes to fix it are all over the place. Almost no one wanted to use wrecking yard parts so the cost is very high. I'm looking for the parts now but that was depressing to say the least. Other than that it still runs great and with 215,000 miles uses absolutely no oil, original transmission, starts every time and idles rock solid. The Bumper fiasco was a real bummer!!

my sympathies - I got rear-ended a year or two back, similar story - cover cracked, bumper pushed out of straight.
Couldn't get anyone to replace it except at unreasonable prices, need to go haunt the wrecking yards and see if I can pull one somewhere..

recently put on new tires, went from Futura Scramblers to Atturo Trail Blade A/T, and was surprised to lose 1-2mpg.. was averaging 19-20mpg in summer, dropped to 18-19 summer and 17 in winter. Boo. Guess that aggressive off-trail tread costs..

Latest posts