What Does This Rotted Part Do?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRA4SNW

Reaction score
I was underneath my '02 ST looking at an exhaust leak and noticed that the rockers are severely rotted, hidden under their plastic our panels. It was not unexpected, due to the amount of salt they throw on our NH roads.
What I didn't expect was this part being rotted this badly. The pic is of the passenger side, facing forward towards to the passenger front wheel. It looks to attach from the body mount to the rocker area.
Does anyone know what it does? I figure that the truck won't split in two while driving it, but it would be good t know what it does and what potential problems it could cause.
Thanks.

Attachments

• ST_Rot.jpg
    ST_Rot.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 127
Appears to be part of the structure, the cab sits on. I would call it important.
I second that.^

What is that circular thing on the left of the pic? Body mount? I would say this looks pretty structural also.
Would I drive it? I have driven worse.
Would I put my kids in it? Probably not.
Would I take it off road? Nope.

I second that.^

What is that circular thing on the left of the pic? Body mount? I would say this looks pretty structural also.
Would I drive it? I have driven worse.
Would I put my kids in it? Probably not.
Would I take it off road? Nope.
Yes, that is a body mount.

You summed up my feelings of the vehicle as it stands. I used to use it a couple of times a week to drive back and forth to work. It's about an hour drive each way, so now I'm afraid to drive it that far.
Never off-road and it is no longer our family hauler.

Latest posts