What is best way to break in to the cargo bed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal keiner

Reaction score
Well, I got my self into a pickle. The handle on the tailgate does not open the tailgate and I lost the keys to the Ford OEM tonneu cover. I need to get the tailgate open so that I can fix what is wrong with the tailgate lock/handle/power lock actuator, or what ever is causing my problem. I installed a power tailgate lock and manual tonneu cover releases a few years ago and have not needed the keys for the tonneau since. I have already confirmed that the tailgate is not locked.

I have considered trying to do the following:

- Drill out the two bolts holding the tonneu cover lock mechanism in place and open the tonneu cover via the cables going from the lock mechanism to the latches. I can do this to either the lock near the back or the lock at the front left side of the cover.

- Break the plastic handle assembly in the tailgatge and remove it in pieces to access the two rods that go from the tailgate handle assembly to the tailgate latches, and then reaching in and moving the rods to unlatch the tailgate.

- Finding a key to unlock the tonneu cover. I have no record of the key number so I have no idea how to find/order a replacement key.

Any thoughts on the chances that any of the above possible solutions will work?

Last edited by a moderator:
The two bolts holding the locks won't work, they only hold the rubber boot in place and they are actually little plastic trim clips.

If you have patience and good coat hanger skills, you might be able to pry the cover up enough to get in and grab a hold of the cables going to the latches(directly at the latches through the latch cover holes). I have been opening my tonneau pushing these in with my fingers for the past couple of years on my ST.

Good luck!

Denis

FWIW, my ignition key also unlocks my OEM tonneau. Wondering if your ignition key works the same way?

Cut/break/drill the tailgate handle if you can't do the coat hanger trick. You can get a replacement on ebay for less than $20 shipped. I just ordered one yesterday...

Ditto what Dick said about the ignition key.

Otherwise, a coat hanger won't work because of the shape of the cover inside forms a lip which prevents getting to the wire on the latch or the emergency release handle. I tried it.

The ignition key will only work on the tonneau cover if it was the factory cover that came with the truck. I had a cover from another ST and used the key from that truck for the cover.

Years ago I lost my door keys to my car & a locksmith made a key for me by using a blank and a visegrip. He inserted the blank key into the lock and turned the key to notch it. Over & over again he kept notching until finally he had made a key for my doors.

I don't know if that type of old school locksmithing still exists but I agree with Travis. Email LaRue or call local locksmiths, & do it the right way.

#2 reason to install a lock actuator on the tailgate...automatic electric tailgate lock and unlock. #1 reason: convenience.

As for advice...since it seems you don't have the tonneu cover lock, why not take that to a locksmith, have him bore it out for you to gain access. That gives you access to the bed and the gate. Then, to fix the t-cover, order a replacement core/lock assembly from Ford, keyed to YOUR ST's ignition (assuming you can do this).

TJR

The cylinders for the cover can be replaced and keyed to your ignition key. They are expensive. Ford's MSRP is $126.90 per cylinder. I had a customer e-mail me looking for one about a week ago, and when I told him the price, he told me I was off my rocker. The part number for the cylinder is 1L5Z3543262BB.

A good locksmith should be able to pick the lock on the tonneau cover. You will never be able to pry the cover up enough to access the cables without damaging the cover. Access to the cables is at the latches so you cannot pry those up.

I am amazzed at the number of people who break their car windows because they locked themselves out, whe simply calling a locksmith is much cheaper. In your case you can drive your vehicle to the locksmith, so it should be a lot cheaper.

...Rich

Have you checked the wiring to your power tailgate lock? If the reason your power lock isn't working is that one of the wires has broken or come loose in a location outside of the tailgate, you may be able to get the gate open, and fix the lock, all by fixing that wire.

If the cover didn't come with your vehicle OEM, where is it from? If you purchased it from someone else who no longer needed it from their vehicle, might that person be able to track down their VIN number (even if they no longer have the vehicle), and might that be enough information for someone to make a key?

I was able to get the tailgate open by giving the handle some very very strong yanks. I didn't want to do so earlier for fear of breaking the flimsy plastic handle off. Out of frustration and realizing that I could buy a replacement handle mechanism for under $40, giving the handle some very strong yanks seemed like the first thing to try. I was probably close to breaking the handle but I did get the tailgate open without breaking it. Once I got the tailgate open, I saw that the latches on both sides were kind of rusted up and did not release easily. Seems that one got jamed and would not unlatch with reasonable force on the handle. It took unreasonable force. Th

I took the two latches out and greased them up real good and put them back in. Now the latches release much more easily without stressing the tailgate handle mechanism. I do plan to get a key for the tonneau cover as backup in case I have a similar problem again. Getting locked out of the truck bed without an easy way to get in is really a pickle to avoid, as demonstrated by the various suggestion I received.

Thanks again to all for your responses.

I also found that the plastic on the lock comes off the metal and if you trim it with a knife it works perfectly..

Todd Z

Latest posts