what is this velcro in here for?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Hey everyone got a question what is this piece of double sided velcro in my overhead console for? ive owned the truck no for 6 years and never figured it out. any help![Broken External Image]:

Thanks in advance

Paul H:D

thats a good thougt but there is a clip that is not in the picture that holds

your sunglasses but if you take that clip out it might hold a garage door

opener if its small enough

any more suggestions???????

Paul H

Seriously, it's for the garage door opener. You mount it with the velcro. Yes your sunglasses go there to. My wife's Mountaineer has it also. Our remotes will fit there but she finds it easier to just have it clipped to her visor. Her Jeep had a spot like that, that you put the remote in there and all you had to do was just push on the cover and a little button on the inside of the cover hit the button on the remote. Thus opening the door. The ones in the ST and Mountaineer don't work that way. You have to physically open the cover to hit the button.;)

ok thats 2 people saying the same thing. thanks guys for answering my question.

now i have to get a garagea and an opener to make use of this feature!!:lol::lol::lol:

Paul H

Paul H (and stone),

You also should have gotten what look like small "lego blocks" in your glovebox. These blocks snap onto the backside of the buttons (see the black plastic holes coming up through the stainless steel plate on the underside of the cover in the pic) to span any gaps between the buttons on the hinged cover and the buttons on the velcroed remote...a low tech Ford solution.

It should allow you to NOT have to open the cover to hit the buttons on the remote.

I keep my remote clipped to my visor and my sunglasses in the compartment.

TJR

The Lego looking blocks are right there in the photo on each side of the hinge on the tan(?) area. They push into the hole next to the hinge on the dark cover. You then velcro the opener in and position it so that the Lego looking things press the opener button. It looks like you only have 2 of the Lego looking blocks. I used like 3 or4 on my '07 ST to make it work. Less may work on your application most likely depending on the opener used.

Good job on the carbon fiber by the way!

Gary
:D

thanks guys. i use it ot hold buisness cards and stuff....

i dont have a garage so i use it for other things.

but thanks for the replies

paul h

It's to hold a garage door opener. There are also little plastic plugs that can snap on to the back of the cover so that you can adjust depth the cover must be pushed to engage the button on the opener.

...Rich

I used mine for my sunglasses. Be careful if you live in the Southwest though. I pulled mine out of there one summer afternoon after work and nearly branded myself on the bridge of my nose with the burn I got from those hot sunglasses. They must have been 200 degrees. Hurt like heck! :eek:

Thanks for the heads up TJR. I wondered what the hell that thing was in the glovebox. I'll have to let the better half know. Maybe this way I can get her to put the remote in there now. Surprising how lazy she can be about things. Any other time she is bouncing off the walls trying to get things done, but to actually have to open the cover to push a button was too much work.:wacko:;)