What should I do about tranny problems?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
O.K., I have an '07 4x2 V6 ST that I bought one year ago this week and have 17,000 miles on now. I've mentioned before on here that I have been having some transmission problems that the bigger engines are having. I have had the ST in on 4 different occasions, and yesterday they reset the computer for the second time. My problem is that after 3,000-5,000 miles of driving it will start the same thing again...which is, after it sits for a little while and I get in it to drive off, at low speeds (like driving throught the parking lot at work) it bumps or jumps on me.

I took the tech for a ride yesterday and he said that the adaptive learning is trying to figure out what I want to do since I am hovering around the 10-15 mph range and breaking, so it is kicking in and out of 1st and 2nd. He said that they have gotten a lot of complaints on all their vehicles about this problem. He said that there isn't much he can do about it? Well, I can't change my driving habits either...can't drive through my parking lot at 30 mph. It only does it when I first take off and am cautious, after a minute it is fine.

Anyhow, what should I do? I don't want to go the route, but would this fall under lemon laws? I don't want to reset the computer everytime I get an oil change...than can't be good? Looking for suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion that learning curve problem solution is BS. They don't know why it does it. Document your repair history and either use the lemon law if your experience qualifies you. Otherwise demand a new tranny if they can't fix it. Have them put in writing what they are telling you if you can.

What tire pressure are you running......

Maybe crank it to 36 all around and see, ,Maybe 1 MPH on the odo is enough....

Just a thought.......

Todd Z

by Todd Z,11/5/2008 15:13 MT

What tire pressure are you running......

Maybe crank it to 36 all around and see, ,Maybe 1 MPH on the odo is enough....

Just a thought.......

Not trying to be a total dick but...

You have better odds of beating a top fuel dragster in the 1/4 than this working.

Tell them that you want to drive another ST with the same drivetrain and when the problem doesn't happen shove it down their throats until it's either fixed or they lemon law it. I have an 08 and mine doesn't exhibit your symptons and I drive through parking lots all the time in the same manner that you are describing.

I'm starting to think that it's more of some friggin computer glitch with the puters they are putting in these trucks.

You'd think that if you cleared the computer if there was something messed up with the tranny, it would show back up right from the start.

In my case, I did have the same prob as wc, but I've only reset my computer once and the prob(s) have never returned. I did drive mine harder the first week after resetting the puter and went back to driving as I normally would.

Back before I did the battery trick, my service advisor was thinking that when the truck sits for a given amount of time, that there is a valve in the valve body that should close, preventing tranny fluid from draining into the pan. His thoughts were if this is the case, when you first start up and put it into gear, that there is not enough oil which would make the tranny slip until the oil got pumped back up there. So, I don't know.....I just did the battery trick and have had no further probs. :wacko:

I'm with gary s. :)

I agree with l1tech though, go drive another one at the lot with the service writer, and when it doesn't do it, make them fix it or lemon law it. If you accept it, Ford will never do anything about it and after 36k miles, you are on your own.

L1,

Note that I wrote Just a thought......

So yes your being a D*&^.......

And this is a family site, please refrain from cursing.....

as for his problem, This is NOT common to the V6 Sport trac, Yes it is on the V8 but not the v6....

Obviously he has something going on, Tranny, computer, VSS, Torque converter, Something going on that Ford will not fix.....

But if the light does not work, Check to see if it is plugged in..... Not assume the bulb is bad...

I was giving him something he can try to see if it changes any thing.....

If it doesn't, Then he needs to fight ford, IF it does Then he can tell Ford they are stupid and to fix his truck...

Todd Z

Todd

I am aware of what you wrote and that is why I said not trying to be a (what you consider a curse word???? can you explain further please) I realize that his problem is not typical. I just find it humourous at what some people may recommend and what some people may try to cure a problem.

I am well aware that this is a family site, that is why you never see me posting off color jokes or links to other off color sites or pictures of slain animals in the beds of trucks here. I think that is truly more offensive(not to me) than my use of the word which can't be mentioned. I am truly amazed that you think the word I used was a curse word :blink::blink:

Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

If it were me and I had this issue and still well within warranty I wouldn't be trying anything, the dealership would be handling it all, all you need to do is mess up one little thing and they will turn the whole situation around on you adn then your scr...can I use that word??