What to cover before doing an engine cleaning..?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Z

Reaction score
I have looked at everything under the hood, and all seems to be weatherproofed well, unlike other vehicles I have owned. Is there anything of major concern which I should cover, before cleaning the engine on my 2005 2wd trac? Thanks for any info...

I have been cleaning all my cars under the hood, and my 02 ST since 02.... with the pressure washer. I avoid getting close to or putting heavy pressure on the electrial wiring etc. I use GUNK to clean it well maybe every 2 years, and then spray it with an engine finish.

It depends on what you're going to clean it with. One great engine cleaning secret is tire cleaning foam spray, you just mist over the etire engine compartment shut the hood and and wait about 20-30 minutes, open the hood, if there is any excess just wipe it of and it shines and cleans all the wiring, hoses, metal and plastics real nice. Make sure you do this when the weather is above 50 degrees out as you don't want it to freeze to anything . Hope this helps. :banana:

I only cover the coil pack, alternator and the air fliter.......

Spar it lightly with water from a hose, I use lemon Joy from a spray bottle let it soak and rinse...

Then I use a leaf blower or air compressor to get rid of puddles and then drive it...

ALSO wash a COLD engine.... Remember to remove the plastic before starting..

Todd Z

No need to cover anything but an open intake, the alt and coilpacks are sealed units.

use simple green, spray it on , let set 5 mins, wash it off.

I don't cover anything either. Just go to the self-service car wash and hit it all hard and thoroughly with high pressure soap and then a good rinse. I usually also do a hot wax and Rain-X cycle too, but I don't know if it really helps anything shine any better.

I've never had any problems with water/moisture, but I do take it out on the highway for 20 minutes to be sure everything is dry.