What type of K&N air filter do I get for the filter mod???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Bond

Reaction score
There are several posts and projects talking about inexpensive mods to replace the air box with a high flow filter, and they generally refer to purchasing a K&N filter. I am interested in performing this MOD, but I don't know where or what specific type of filter to get. The articles don't provide specifics, and the K&N catalog must have a 100 different types of universal filters similar to the ones shown in the projects. Can someone please post the part number or other specifics and ideas on where to get it? I am planning the mod that has you make an adapter from a hardware store plumbing part (like the one posted by Michelle), and I think I need a 3.5" inlet to the filter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

Go ahead and get your hardwear that goes from your intake and take it with you to the store and open the k&n boxes and see which ones fit. I used a large cone with the 3" and made my own bracket. A big filter will fit when you have the old air box out. The trick is to get the old box out. You just have to bow up on it!!!!

in all honesty, you could probably find a generic no name intake that would give you the same result as the MOD on ebay. If you would like to get the actual "benefits" of getting a good intake then buy the good intake. I Can't forsee any major bonus from having a drop in filter with minor mods to the airbox. At least not in comparison to an intake system like MAC, Volant, K&N or AirRaid. But then again maybe its just me.

Dallas

By the way, i have the MAC intake system and noticed some improved throttle reposnse, nothing miraculous, after all, i am driving an SUV.I'm sure I'll see a better result once i get the exhaust and the flasher from WFOY.