What would you do -transfer case

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Hello all just checking in! I am doing a bunch of work on green and doing a ton of work to green lately and I'm on one of my last big projects. The issue I'm having is my transfer case is leaking from the center seem of the case. There is no gasket it's only silicone . I am having a tough decision deciding between taking the transfer case apart ,changing just the seals around all the shafts ,new motor ,new silicone in the center and putting it back together putting it in the truck. Total cost about 300 bucks. The other route is I can get a rebuilt one For 900 shipped including the motor and return shipping for the core that is completely rebuilt with a 2 year warranty under normal use and 1 year if other use. I am doing all the labor. That's not a problem.

My concern is I take the old one apart and need more crap. Then a pump and I would do a complete rebuild that would be about 4-500 bucks plus the time lost.

What would you do?:banghead:

Thanks.

Todd Z.

I dont have 4x4. But if I did and had the $$. I would do the exhange for the warranty. Especialy doing self labor. As you said, you havent broken open your own case yet.

JMO.......GL

I would rebuild it completely myself, then you know all the internals are good and new with warranty from parts store (wherever you get the parts from). If you get a rebuilt one then you don't know what what replaced and what wasn't (most remanufactured trans, transfers cases, etc... Get checked and replace the known bad parts, nothing more).

Just a piece of mind knowing exactly what's done, just my pennies. LOL. You could always swap over to a manual transfercase, this is a whole other project though.

Tough decision for sure...

I would do the exchange because I don't have time or place to do the rebuild work.

Last edited by a moderator:
its getting colder out.. and not a great time to work on the ST

Me.. I would order one.. and install.. and not have to worry..

less down time also if something else is wrong and have to wait for parts to fix that..

but thats my 2 cents worth

If you could be sure the cost would be $300.00, that would be a good route and you'd have some money to handle a defect in some part, but, as you note, you can't be sure. Your gamble is now 400 to $500 v. 900 (with a warranty).

With the rebuilt unit, you still have to do the R&R labor, but that's it. I think the warranty is worth that $400 and, of course, we all drive "normal use".

There is another savings associated with the rebuilt unit, fewer beers from start to finish.

Todd,

If the transfer case has no other issues than the leak, I would just fix the leak and not spend the extra money for a rebuilt unit and all the shipping cost. Like transmissions, eEven rebuilt units don't necessarily have all new parts...they only replace the parts that are obviously bad and keep what looks good or within specs even if it is slightly worn.

The only concern might be the time it will take you since a shop can probably do it a lot faster and you will be without your vehicle for less time?

Even if you decide that it's too much to tackle yourself, check out what it would cost at a local shope to replace all the seals (with a warranty). if you remove and install the transfer case and deliver/pickup the unit yourself? I'm sure it would still be cheaper than $900 plus all the shipping expenses.

...Rich

I am thinking the new seals and sillycone gasket, and go that route... i have the rebuild kit any way just incase....

Wish me luck.....In about 2 weeks...

When i get a second i will post the body mount fiasco !!!

Todd Z

Gavin, the leak is from the center, its a sillicone gasket and the case would only move and crack the JB, i am not into mcguivering it, I fix things...

Todd Z

If you have enough time you could make a how-to project on both body mount bushings and the transfer case. :supercool:

I'll be doing the bushings hopefully in the spring, they're shot.

Jerry, they were a nightmare !!! and the Daystar kit ( Which I sell both !!!!) and the prothane kit are soo different !!!!

Tons of differances, if you would like to know, call me some time....

Todd Z

Latest posts