Whats the best 8" Sub, thats 4" deep??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach harrison

Reaction score
Like many of you, I'm installing an 8 this week where the factory sub was. I really wanted to go with JL Audio or Polk MOMO but they have mounting depths over 4" which from what I've read here wont work in that space, though I'd love for someone to show me how to overcome this.

I'm open to all brands and prices, the best for the situation is what I need. Thanks.

you will never get the results you are looking for with a shallow mount sub. Where are you mounting it. If its behind the seat you can get a box that gives you about 7 - 7.5 inches of moutning depth....

I found a California acoustics speaker worked well....

Todd Z

Big D, yeah I'm going directly behind the back seat. How are you getting 7", are you removing the plastic cover? I'm fine with taking out the little door that covered the factory sub but I'd like to keep the larger cover. Big D, do you have specs for that box are talking about?

If you wait about 3 days I'll show you pictures of my final set up... Its getting primered today and painted to match my silver frost exterior tomorrow.. Im running 2 x Kicker Solobaric 8" L7 subwoofers...

I will be putting though over 900W (RMS) through this system... you just wait... juuuuuust wait....

Nice D, I've looked at those subs, and would be happy with them. I'll probably only run one since i have a 200 RMS Mono amp and that should take care of it. I guess i'll have to just wait...juuust wait. :D

Seattle - what 8" JL sub is under 4" , I sure haven't seen any yet?

Zach:

I bought the RF Punch Stage 2 for my 8" enclosure. It sounds awsome as long as you have a 200RMS amp to power it. It's 3 13/16 deep.

Brian, did you use the box plans listed on this site by C. Wells or anyone else? I'd like to see your set up if you got pics.

I did use his design. I will take pics as soon as I can. I used 1/2" mdf board instead of Birch. When I was done I added a square with the speaker cuttout to the face of the box to add even more mounting depth. I might not be able to post pics until tomorrow. I'm working late tonight, then I have to pick up the kids at Grandmas house. I will email you them first chance I get. Brian

Zach, I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch2 just like Brian and use it on my JDBox 8" enclosure. I had remove the vanity magnet "cap" for it to fit though. It's powered by an Alpine 200W amp and it sounds great.

Thanks guys. This is what i'm leaning towards as it sounds like the easiest installation but I do want to see what Big D got brewin'. I'd be very interested if I could use one of the JL or POLK subs that are deep.

I don't have head-turning bass, but it's plenty enough inside. I'm not trying to get attention so I'm very satisfied with what I've got. I haven't had the time, but eventually I'm gonna dynamat the doors and the back, clean up wiring and amp positions, and do some fine tuning. By then the sounds are gonna be truly sweet.