What's the deal with the running boards?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeBot

Reaction score
So I've had my '04 sport trac for a few days now and I'm trying to decide if I want to remove the running boards. It seems like these things came standard right? Almost all the pictures I see online for sport tracks around my year have them. It's weird to me though because the step up into the cab is really not that high. Definitely manageable without a running board, so why do you guys thing Ford included them? I actually feel like getting out would be easier if they weren't there... Any reason why I shouldn't ditch them?

Last edited:
Several years ago, my side steps started rusting from inside out.
Tried to remedy that with RattleCan Rustoleum GrayPrimer every 6months or so,
sprayed both into the holes under the ends & all outside.
Ended up taking them off a couple of years ago; did keep the 2*3ea/Side brackets;
wire brushed cleaned & repainted those, then to my spare parts box.
Threw out the horizontal running boards\tubes+treads; they were too far gone rusty.
I may at some time fabricate my own with something better\stronger.
I like the looks wOut the steps & makes getting under the truck easier;
but wife is shorter, so she complained at first, but really no longer an issue.
Taking them off is fairly easy, here's a vid:

Last edited:
Being a bit "short" my wife uses the ones on her S/T everytime she enters the S/T. I'm looking to have them ....refinished....forgot the name of the process....

I think whether to get rid of them or not depends on whether you want to at some point, sell the truck or not. In my opinion, people looking for older used cars and trucks are always impressed if it is still 'stock' and will pay more. If yours need replacement, find a used parts place that lets you remove parts. A pair of nice running boards are very available, and would cost less than you might think, and if you put them in storage, they could be installed on the truck later, when you do decide to sell. The only thing I will remove or replace in my 04 is if I can find a reasonably priced, factory issued gps. But, I would keep the existing factory radio in case the new owner wanted to re-install it.

i got 2 04s and neither came with nerfs, running boards ,side steps. if ya like 4 wheeling then i say keep them. there great for rocks, trees, etc. my stock ones i have not put a pair on, like you said they do not sit high enough. my lifted trac i put sliders on from a wrangler and they looked sick but bent them so replaced with plain nerfs, as you can not buy sliders for trac. i have a plain trac and a xlt but again neither came stock.

interesting, my 04 didn't have running boards when I bought it..
don't much care for them generally, my wife's MDX has them and mostly they just make dirt marks on my pants..
Used to have a 98 Sienna with running boards. One day I stepped on it to reach something on the roof racks and it crumbled under me, completely rusted through.. planned to drive that van into the ground, so took them off and left it that way.
As ReggieT says, maybe take them off and save them if they're not too rusty, can always replace..

interesting, my 04 didn't have running boards when I bought it..
don't much care for them generally, my wife's MDX has them and mostly they just make dirt marks on my pants..
Used to have a 98 Sienna with running boards. One day I stepped on it to reach something on the roof racks and it crumbled under me, completely rusted through.. planned to drive that van into the ground, so took them off and left it that way.
As ReggieT says, maybe take them off and save them if they're not too rusty, can always replace..
Running boards are often AfterMarket HighProfit Addons at dealerships to pump up sales\profits.
They look good, but problem is they're cheaply made & very cheaply painted.
Considering exposure to road grim, rust gets to them generally before factory components.

My 04 has 'body colored side step bar' as standard equipment at no extra cost. I presumed that all ST's had them as standard equipment. Mine is 2 wheel drive XLT.

I think whether to get rid of them or not depends on whether you want to at some point, sell the truck or not. In my opinion, people looking for older used cars and trucks are always impressed if it is still 'stock' and will pay more. If yours need replacement, find a used parts place that lets you remove parts. A pair of nice running boards are very available, and would cost less than you might think, and if you put them in storage, they could be installed on the truck later, when you do decide to sell. The only thing I will remove or replace in my 04 is if I can find a reasonably priced, factory issued gps. But, I would keep the existing factory radio in case the new owner wanted to re-install it.
The previous owner already took some... creative liberties to make my ST officially not stock, so at least retaining stock components won't have to be a worry for me. I think I'll remove the boards but still hang on to them for a bit in case I have a change of heart.

Both my 2002 and 2010 STs came with factory running boards. Even though we don't have much road salt here in Colorado the basic steel pipe 2002 boards started rusting about 2010. I sold the truck to my best friend and he took them off when he moved to Tennessee.

The 2010 boards are of very different construction and so far there is no sign of rust on them. I'll admit that I do occasionally get my pants legs dirty exiting the vehicle after driving in mud and road slop. But even though I am 6'3" and don't need the step to get in I still like it for access to the roof rack and sunroof. I stand on the running boards to dry the top of the truck and the sun roof window after a run to the car wash. And they are handy for securing stuff to the roof rack.

There are still a lot of STs on the road in Colorado. I am amazed at how many times I still get compliments on the appearance of the truck from random folks in parking lots. They especially like the Dark Copper Metallic color, which I was not keen about at first but have come to like a lot.

So I've had my '04 sport trac for a few days now and I'm trying to decide if I want to remove the running boards. It seems like these things came standard right? Almost all the pictures I see online for sport tracks around my year have them. It's weird to me though because the step up into the cab is really not that high. Definitely manageable without a running board, so why do you guys thing Ford included them? I actually feel like getting out would be easier if they weren't there... Any reason why I shouldn't ditch them?
I have an 04 and bent the mounting brackets horribly on one off road trip and removed them. The steps are fine everything just bent up to just below the cab.

If you want to sell mounting brackets and hardware hit me up.

The wife wants me to put them back on. Be a great surprise for her if I did.
Thanks!

I have an 04 and bent the mounting brackets horribly on one off road trip and removed them. The steps are fine everything just bent up to just below the cab.

If you want to sell mounting brackets and hardware hit me up.

The wife wants me to put them back on. Be a great surprise for her if I did.
Thanks!
I have a 2005 and bent a couple of my mounting brackets! How much do you want for them? Thanks Ken [email protected]

Latest posts