Wheel bearing?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrlunchbox

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what a wheel bearing would sound like if its on its way out? I have an 03 ST 4x4 and have a slight vibration in the front end it seems. I hear a slight low kind of grinding noise coming from the front end. I have checked my brakes and they seem all set. Any opinions on what to look for? Thanks!! :wacko:

When mine went, it was making a bad/very noticable grinding noise while driving. When I jacked that side of the truck up, the wheel assy was loose. I could move it by hand back and forth, and could see that there was no play in the ball joints, just the half-shaft would move in and out.;)

When wheel bearings make noise the noise usually changes when turning. These "changes" maybe the noise actually disappearing during one turn and getting louder during the oppiste turn.

Sounds like when my front hub assembly's went, defintely want to get that fixed ASAP. Mine didn't give me much notice before completely blew out and I barely made it home.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have an aggressive tire on your 4x4 and they are worn, the tires can sound like a bad bearing as well if they are worn down , raise the front end, and check the front wheels for slop or being loose (side to side or top to bottom), if not, the noise may be the tires. I had this issue on my 02 4x4 and had worn aggressive tires that made a growling sound, checked the bearings as indicated above, felt good, so I needed tires anyway, and put new tires on, noise was gone.