wheel bearings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raffy hizon

Reaction score
hello there!! my 2001 4x4sport trac has this low pitched resonating sound which kinda gets a bit louder within the 20 to 50km/hr speed....

some say it could be the tires, some say the front wheel bearings could be the culprit. my ride has about 50,000km on it. has anyone replaced wheel bearings ? just want to be sure cause they kinda cost a lot over hear..:(

thanks in advance

RP, Jack the front of the truck off the ground and spin the tires by hand and listen for the grinding noise..

You also can have the truck put up on a lift and let them run it in 4wd to see also.. IF no noise is heard, it could be the tires..

have a shop look at it..

Todd Z

i had to change both of my wheel bearings in the front....cost like 200 for each bearing because they have the abs sensors in them or somethin...i know ford wanted to do it for 600 bucks, but i got it for a little over 400...the way i found out about it is i went to buy new tires and the guy wouldnt tough the wheel cuz there was alot of play in the wheel...if u can shake it on the axle then its prolly the bearing....good luck

...dang i meant to say "...they cost a lot over here. (not hear!!!:p)

anyways , ill try to jack up the front and listen to them.... thanks...

isnt 50,000km to early for bearing damage? i use the trac 98% on the road....

I'm guessing that Ford was "Cheap on the Grease".

Ball joints, wheel bearings, etc...

May not hurt to check these, even with low miles...

...lifted the front tires and spun the tires by hand, there is no noise when spun BUT there is a muffled clacking sound the moment i spin it the other way then disappears.... the wheel also has a little play when wiggled sideways :(

...wii see if i can borrow my neighbors front tires tomorrow and see if the humming dissappears... i hope:D

just an update.... came from the dealers a week ago.... the both front hub assemblieswere replaced.... man they cost a lot!!!:eek::eek::eek:

where else can they be sourced???

any auto parts place here in the states can get them. You could order them and have them shipped to a member, then have them ship to you as a gift ...... ;)

Autozone.com has them listed, IIRC.

Latest posts