wheel doesn't spin

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric huskey 2

Reaction score
I have a problem with my front passenger wheel binding up. I put the ST in the air on 4 jackstands. Turn on the 4 wheel drive and the front driverside wheel spins. The front passenger wheel spins then stops. When driving it feels like the brake is on. I took the wheel off and inspected everything. I thought it was the caliper so I replaced it. Turns out it didn't fix it. Anyone know what the problem is?

It is almost like putting a non LS rear wheel drive car in the air... The passenger rear tire only spins...

When you have it in the air, SLIGHTLY apply the brakes and then give it a little gas...

The resistance on the drivers wheel will try to transfer some torque to the passenger side tire and make it spin...

Thats an old trick with RWD and you only have an open diff, helps get you out of mud or ice..

Todd Z

Ok, like the others, I think all is normal.

One question will answer that. When the right tire is NOT spinning, what is the left tire doing?

If it is spinning, you have an open rear (front) end and all is normal.

If neither spins but the drive shaft is,,,,, then you have an issue.

FYI, 4 wheel drive with open front and rear diffs is really 2 wheel drive (1 front, 1 rear).

4 wheel drive with a limited-slip or locking rear is really 3 wheel drive (mostly).

4 wheel drive with front and rear lockers is the only real 4 wheel drive. As far as I know, only the Wrangler Rubicon and some Land Cruisers and Range Rovers come from the factory with front and rear selectable lockers.

Snakey,

Sorry, Not true....

JohnnyO is correct..

Todd Z

I can't figure out the problem so I took it to the shop today. They called this evening and said it is stuck in 4 wheel drive. It want go into 2 wheel at all and the 4x4 lights on the dash don't light up either. They gonna dig some more tomorrow. If it is stuck in 4 wheel I duno why it drags and makes a binding noise when you turn the wheel. Sounds like multiple problems now.

Sorry, but it is true.

As long as you have some traction at each wheel, they will be driving the vehicle, only If you lose traction completly on one side( like lifting a wheel of the the ground) will you lose your drive at that axle.

What would you rather have in the snow? A two wheel drive vehicle with a locked rear axle or a four wheel drive vehicle with open diffs.

By JohnnyO's explanation, the two should be the same.

I will take the four wheel drive.

I'd take the RWD vehicle in your scenario, as then I can say that I made it through the epic blizzard with the odds against me. Can't pass up that sense of accomplishment :)

Snakey,,,

I get the feeling we are saying the same as you but in a different way.

If a tire is elevated off the ground in a 4 wheel drive vehicle, UNLESS it has a locking third member that tire will spin all day long and do no good. Even with limited slip, it will spin if the easier resistance is for the tire/axle to spin over the friction of the clutch pack within the third member.

So, you will NOT get 4 wheels doing all the work at all the times, although the work load MAY shift around due to various situations, you will never have more than one axle at each end doing work unless you have a locked third member.

With an open diff, the power goes to the wheel with the least traction. But in a 4wd without lockers, not all wheels get an equal amount of power no matter what the decals on the fenders say.

snakey said:
By JohnnyO's explanation, the two should be the same.

Effectively, yes. Realistically, in snow I would take a 4wd with opens over a 2wd with a locker because that front axle helping out and where most of the weight is would be better. Off-roading in dirt or mud, the difference is much less pronounced. Note that the Baja 1000 Trophy Trucks are all 2wd with lockers or spools. Although in snow a 2wd with a locker or limited-slip will smoke a 2wd with an open rear.

Front limited-slips or lockers can be the shiznit off-road but in snow and/or ice you're better off with an open front because when you turn a corner you will merrily plow straight ahead into a pole, sidewalk, other traffic, whatever, until you get very practiced at it. People I know with front lockers simply unlock one front hub when driving on snow covered roads.

Until I got my 08 Trac, I never owned a 4wd without a limited-slip rear (99 Ranger, 02 Ranger, 05 Trac), even if I had to special-order to get it (dealers hate when you want to do that). 07-08 Tracs have traction control and a limited-slip is not available. But I'm wondering if I could put one in anyway and not screw up the traction control. :cool:

Coastiejoe said:
you will never have more than one axle at each end doing work unless you have a locked third member.

You mean one wheel at each end, right? :D

Last edited by a moderator: