Wheel offset/back spacing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh mcleod

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying new wheels n tires. I currently have 285/75/16 on factory wheels, 3" body lift, 2"TT SS. 1.5/2.0" wheel spacers. Id like to know what offset to look for to maintain the current look but without the spacers.

Thanks

The main thing to know for start is. OEM wheels are 7" wide with a +12mm offset.

Using that you can determine what wheel in any width and offset, to give you the look and fitment you want.

Is offset the same as backspacing? Wen I look up wheels for my ST on tire rack the backspacing ranges from 4"-7". My understanding is that the higher the backspacing the closer the wheel sits to the inside of the truck.

Thanks for the quick response Eddie!

Get online and try Tire Rack.com. I just boght and installed a set of Dick Cepeck 8" wheels with Michelin 265R70 16" Tires and I just love them. They mounted and balanced the tires for free and you can call or chat online with any questions. Also they were quite a bit cheaper in price than any other place I tried.......

The one thing about using tire companies sujestions, are. They dont always give you the look you want. They just know they will fit. They dont want to be responsible of a sujestion that tucks in or sticks out too much. Most of the time I see their sujestion tuck under more than you want for that wide stance. With the rim still under the fender.

I always look at offsets and rim widths. Not to concerned with backspacing. Although it is a good tool. Especialy with really wide rims. You have to know if the rim edge will rub on suspension parts.

Yes the deeper the backspace the closer inside the rim sits.

I have bought alot of custom rims. Sometimes 3 set for the same car, during its life,,$$$.

Sometimes I actually sit down and draw a pattern of oem width and offset, and a pattern of the rim Im looking at. It gives me a visual. To compare to fender clearance.

I like a street rim to be under the fender just enough to clear. It got complicated to shop for cars that I lowered..:banghead:

Latest posts