where do you stow yours ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Cartmill

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one here might offer some advice on where they mount, or stow a firearm in their ST. I have a perfect place to conceal a handgun and still have ready access in my Excursion but the limited space in my ST has me wondering. I'm leaning toward mounting one under the dash, but I would much rather have it totally concealed. I don't want everyone who rides in my truck to see it, especially my kids or their friends. I do have a concealed carry lic. so please don't make an issue of it. I don't want posts about not carrying one as you will not change my mind. It is a freedom and a right I employ.

Thanks.

I just posted a thread about this bigdaddy, search for "gun" or "gun racks". I have pretty much decided on getting an overhead mount rack manufactured by "Big Sky" there is a link in my thread. Wife says I have to wait till Christmas though:angry:, so will not have it for this hunting season.

bigdaddy, when I carry my Ruger, I put it right between the drivers seat and my consol bag. It blends in perfectly and you wouldn't notice it unless you are looking for it. I've looked around inside but haven't really found a place to keep it that it's completely out of site but readily accessable. I know I have seen some holders that will attach to the bottom of the dash. Just can't remember where, plus to me, it could be hard to get to in a pinch. Were I put it now, it would look like I was just unhooking my seatbelt, it's right beside it. But like i said, I don't keep it there on a consistant basis.;)

If you have kids you need to keep it safely locked away. Perhaps a small gun safe like this one.

I think there is a misunderstanding from some of those who have posted. BigDaddy has asked how to conceal his gun for which he has a permit to keep concealed; not on firearm safety. For those of you who are worried, he had to take a safety course to gain this permit. He knows how to keep it safely, just needs to hide it. Hope that helps clarify the responses.

Yeah, for heavens sake don't let the kids see it. They may grow up in a society that doesn't have crime and will never need to know how to defined themselves. You GO Bigdaddy. Teach your children the way I was taught. Take them out and show them how to use their gun safely. Guns don't kill people People kill people. Deal with it.

I agree with Gene.

Teach the kids about guns, how to use them, how to maintain them, how to respect them. Of course the weapon should not be loaded and should probably have a trigger lock on it, even if stored concealed. However, if this isn't possible, then it really needs to be managed properly. "Out of sight, out of mind" doesn't work all the time, especially when you take your truck in for service, detailing, etc. and someone finds (or triggers) a surprise.

Guns are no worse than knives, sissors, ball bats, lawn darts, rocks, boiling water, etc. They can all be hazardous if not handled properly.

I keep mine just like stonemiser, inbetween the seat and the bag depending on which one I carry. My S&W blends good there because of the black grips, my HiPower doesn't because it's nickle plated and with chestnut grips. As another option I also at times carry either one in a slim inside the belt /pant holster that I attach to my belt behind my back which is covered by tail end of my t-shirt/polo . So it's out of sight and on me should I need to exit the vehicle or if need be to draw.

Hey I'm all for teaching the kids about gun safety. But they have to be a certain age to learn and then what about their friends? Going to teach all of them to? The only safe gun around the house or vehicle with kids (until they reach a certain age) is a locked gun I'm no anti-gun person. I own 4 handguns and 5 rifles. But I hate gun owners that are not responsible. So you can be a hillbilly like Gene in NC and believe that all you have to do is tell them to "not touch daddy's gun" or you can be a responsible parent.

To all you gun haters, get a life. Thanks. The second amendment supports us. Education of youth on firearm safety is a must. My daughter is getting a .22 for her 5th birthday (she just had her second birthday). I have 8 other firearms in my house. You know what? While in my possession, the only thing they have killed is paper.

Now back to the topic at hand...

Do you have the full console? What about doing a modification on the "stuff holder" in front of the cup holder. Pull the rubber piece up, cut the plastic underneith to fit. Custom form a holder of some sort inside. Put a piece of plastic/wood/thin metal down and the rubber piece back on top. If you have a smaller carry, it should fit (something in .380 or 9mm maybe?). I have a large frame that 1) is to big to carry concealed and 2) way to big to hide like this.

I think my handgun is about the same size as my AK.... and just a bit smaller than my Garand...

By law here in NY I must have mine on my person at all times, Not allowed to stow in the vehicle..

So mine is on me...

Sorry I of no help..

Todd Z

BigDaddy, besides concealing the gun what other factors are you looking for? For example, do you want the gun easily accessible while you are driving? If all you want to do is conceal it from prying eyes, then locked in a small case and stowed in the hole behind the rear seats seems like the way to go.

If, however, you want the gun concealed, loaded, ready and quickly accessible, then I can't help you there as I can't in good conscience recommend such a setup if you say you drive kids often or kids will be around your vehicle.

TJR

I just use the console bag. My 9mm fits in there fine as long as it's not full of CD's. As for keeping it from your kids, I don't have an answer other than get a gun with a child lock (mine is built in).

I have a concealed permit also, usually my gun is on my person (like now).

Bigdaddy, here is just one that I found (hope the link works). It's a universal mount that probably could be incorperated somewhere in the vehicle.

The idea of carrying concealed is to protact yourself and your loved ones in the time of crisis. If the gun is in a safe or has a trigger lock on it all it will be good for is to throw at the criminal. That is real useful. I grew up in a house where the gun cabinet was NEVER locked (didn't even have one) and we were taught at an early age to never touch them without my parents permission. If you asked my 5 year old daughter and my 2 year old son what to do if they EVER found a gun lying around anywhere, what they are supposed to do, they will tell you, "you don't touch it, you tell your friends not to touch it, and you yell at the top of your lungs to get an adult immediately". I know we are talking about a 5 and 2 year old but thier response is immediate. They don't even have to think about it. Is my gun cabinet locked? Yes. Is there still a firearm assessable? Yes. Do I carry concealed? Yes. Are there kids in the car? You better believe it. If you want something of mine that I worked hard for and love, you better be ready to die for it. I am ready to sacrifice myself to keep and protect it. In my opinion, I can't do that with a gun in a safe or with a trigger lock on it. Just my opinion.;)

I'm not a gun activist or anything. I sold all my guns because of my son. Situation: You have a gun that is secured and hidden and you get car jacked:unsure:. Do you really think you will have time to unsecure your gun to use it? I doubt it.

If you want to teach your kids how to shoot that's one thing but just having a gun for bragging rights is not the answer. If you have to shoot out in public, possibly because of an altercation, innocent people are likely to be around as well.

I don't want to start a feud I'm just stating my opinion. Keep it at home unless you are going to the range.;)

Latest posts