Where is MAF

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben beethe

Reaction score
Where is the Mass Air Flow Sensor? I need to clean it since I am getting P0172 and P0175 codes and it is running rough. I have checked and the infamous elbow is not cracked.

Don't use carb cleaner! Use cleaner specifically for the air intake or electronic parts cleaner! Spray it only. Don't go messin' with the sensor wire!

653e5fba1a4e9e5ad88b9169fcbe6ae9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also put some on a Q-tip and then clean the wires. Better than spraying directly with the can

When you checked the hose, check to see it is not too weak and collapsing when vacuum is applied. Also, the crack normally happens on the bottom side.

I would not touch the wires at all. Buy contact cleaner safe for plastics. Or some parts stores have a maf cleaner. Spray the wires from both sides. Let it dry a few minutes.

Sorry, for some reason, was thinking IAC, not MAF.

On a side note, a Q-tip is great for cleaning out the IAC :D

Use CRC Electrical Cleaner that can be found in most parts stores. You will need a security torx driver (with the dimple on the end) to remove the two screws. I will reiterate Bill & Eddie said: DO NOT touch the 2 little wires inside the MAFS. If you do you run the risk of breaking them which means you will be replacing the MAFS to the tune of $350+.

i wouldn't unscree it either... they have a dye on the screws and if ever it goes bad and ford notices its been tampered with you get the full bill. 150 bucks or + i believe...

How do I clean the MAF sensor w/o unscrewing the torx 20 screws? Please provide step by step instructions as I am poor and don't want to screw it up and have to pay for a new one.

TIA

The sensor doesn't need to be removed from the housing in order to clean it.

Just disconnect the wiring connector, disconnect the MAF from the air box, and then disconnect it from the hose going to the TB. Then, spray the MAF cleaner on the sensor and let it sit for a bit to dry. Reassemble everything and you're done! Piece o'cake.:banana: