Where to buy Mercon V?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I have access to a tranny flush machine but need to provide my own fluid. For future reference, where can I get Mercon V fluid and how much of it will I need?

A word of caution. I had my 30K mile service done a couple of weeks ago by Ford. I asked them to make sure they didn't forget the friction modifier, which was put in during the recall about 6 months ago. Their service manager explained to me that is no longer necessary, since the transmission fluid has been reformulated. I don't know what this reformulated fluid is called, but I bet it isn't Mercon V anymore.

Mercon-V is the type of fluid and is made by a number of oil companies. Some companies make universal fluids that meet or exceed Mercon-V specifications. One such company is Royal Purple. They make an excellent product but it may be a bit pricey and hard to locate.

Most flush machines will require 10 quarts.

...Rich

Nelson, I'm not sure if the recall additive is the same thing as 'friction modifier', if so, that is a question that has long gone unanswered: Does Mercon V require the recall additive/friction modifier?

Thanks for the replies! Will try to find RP or Mobil. Is this friction modifer stuff available for purchase?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I looked at Mobil 1 ATF, which I just put it in my transfer case, it was not Mercon V-rated. As far as I know, new Mercon V does not require an additive.

According to the Service manager at Five Star Ford in OKC, the standard Mercon V has a rust inhibitor in it, which causes the trottle body to stick. The additive added under the service recall was designed to counteract the rust inhibitor. The new reformulated transmission does not have the rust inhibitor. I did not get details about this, and took him at his word. I will try to call and get more information on this tomorrow. I am not sure if Mercon V is still recommended for our transmissions in light of what I was told. :unsure:

Here's a thread I found which discusses the Mercon V issue. MazdaRangerGuy works at a dealership, and discusses the "new" Mercon V briefly in this thread.

Thanks Nelson.

Also, do the bottles specifically have to say Mercon V? So far, I've only seen brands that claim DexronIII and just Mercon.

Latest posts