Where would you move? suggestions appreciated

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
I'm tired of living in Kansas (45 of my 48 years is enough) and am looking for a good place to relocate.

Population of between 50,000 & 150,000 approx.

No extended winter temps of below 35 or so

No extended summer temps of 95 or so

No high humidity climates

No high crime cities

Decent cost of living

Some sort of attractive scenery

We've been looking at different cities census reports, average weather trends and seen some photos but I figured you guys know a lot of places first hand & could give some valuable advice--Thanks

Well the east coast is out if you dont want high humidity climates. Not sure where you would find all that maybe in the midwest somewhere or California?

A few towns on the West coast between SanFran CA and Portland OR may fit the bill......

But that is all I can think of at the moment. Anywhere in the Rocky Mountains would fit nicely, other than the extended winter temps...

I see your list of "no"s and decent cost of living with some scenery. But what about job needs and such. Any requirements there?

San Antonio is a nice place, lots to do and plenty of work opportunities. I know you said <150,000 but around SA are many smaller communities. Best of both worlds - country living and the big city for when you want/need it. Cost of living is great. referring back the the real estate thread a day or two back, my 3288 SF house cost me 120K on the outskirts of SA. 5 mins to the country, 20 mins to downtown. BUT, it does get over 95 sometimes.

grump

Over 95 sometimes in Texas? Didn't you have a summer not too long ago where you had 30-40 straight days of 100+ degree weather. I like the housing costs, though.

Flagstaff, AZ. Only a couple hours from the big city of Phoenix and only an hours drive from the worlds best scenery at the Grand Canyon.

[Broken External Image]:

Cool, dry summers (low humidity year round) and snow skiing in the winter. Ski resort only 10 miles north of town. Plenty of hiking trails in the area.

Plusses:

1) NO Hurricanes

2) NO Tornadoes

3) NO Earthquakes

4) NO Smog

5) NOT Kollyfornia :)

6) Average of 288 days of sun a year

Minuses:

1) Not many places of employment

2) Relatively high housing costs

Oh nevermind, you'd hate it. It needs to remain a secret :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a place in mind, but the humidity and the population may be a problem. Tampa, Florida. Beautiful scenery, beautiful winters, low crime, decent cost of living. There are many areas in the surrounding area without the population problem but you can't escape the humidity.

Hawaii, first choice. Second choice, Johnson City, Tennessee. Hey you did ask "Where would YOU move". :)

Western PA, assuming money is not an issue or you do something that pays decent because the local economy is not so great. Low crime, low cost of living, really low housing prices. Winter is not terrible, summer is not too hot. Lots of water and golf courses. Average one tornado every 20 years, no earthquakes. Big off-roading park just over the border in OH. Can't find it right now, but I have a pic of me on my jetski that looks for all the world like I'm in Hawaii. We don't have a lot of days where it's REAL cold, but there is winter. NC would be a little better but then cost of living is higher and there's hurricanes. Perfectly acceptable house can be had here for $100k or less. Traffic is not too bad because less people live here every year...therefore no immigrants and everyone speaks English. I have two traffic lights between home and work and get mad if one is red and it takes me longer than two minutes to get home. Leave the Trac's windows down on a hot day, no problem. Ahh, small-town life...but Pittsbugh is only 20 miles and 45 minutes away. I basically like it here. Butler county just north is the same and growing, which has it's pluses and minuses.

www.co.beaver.pa.us

www.beavercounty.net

www.beavercountychamber.com

www.timesonline.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the 'Don't move to Illinois' vote! :) I grew up there...

I now live in Northern California. No humidity, summer temps can be a bit high in the central valley... (Upper 90's Low 100's at times) and reasonable winter temps, but with rain. GREAT scenery, but the housing prices are a joke... The best part? An hour and a half and you're either at the ocean or in the mountains!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

My best suggestion would be Knoxville. The temps rarely get that low, and it doesn't get that hot in the summer. We lived there three years and it only snowed once. The cost of living is low, and houses are fairly reasonable. If you like football, the University of Tennessee is right there, and they fill their 107,000 seat stadium every game.

Knoxville does have about 160,000 actual residents, and about 400,000 if yiou include all the little towns around it, but the little towns aren't bad, either.

Scenery is just down the street in the Smokies. If you need to get anywhere, both I-75 and I-40 pass right through town. And that allows all the rod runs to come to town!

My wife still misses it, but grandparents had too much pull when our son was born. A three week visit every three months gets old. At least when they live down the street, we can tell them to go home!

I am with Travis on this one. Not necessarily Tampa but the west side of Florida has some very reasonable housing prices and the weather can't be beat.

I am with Travis on this one. Not necessarily Tampa but the west side of Florida has some very reasonable housing prices and the weather can't be beat.

Move to Mars Hill, NC so I can watch that sweet, lifted black ST driving around town! :D

Well I would definitely say Central and Southern Arizona should not be candidates. Between the toasty weather, the pollution, and the traffic, Central AZ is looking more and more like Los Angeles every day (I was born and raised in LA and ESCAPED soon after high school!!)...

Flagstaff is definitely a much nicer place in AZ to live... What about New Mexico? or Northern Nevada?

I've been a lot of places, and with your criteria, pretty much the only thing left is out west. Anywhere in the midwest has too crazy a weather and anywhere south or north doesn't meet your temperature requirements. Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, etc. Thats about it.

Only other places might be central georgia/alabama/mississippi, but they get pretty humid and muggy in the summers. They are nice to look at though, and pretty cheap to live in, and as long as you stay out of the big cities crime is low.

Latest posts