Which plug wires to buy?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put Taylors on mine from Summit Racing. Just watch the part number though, the ones listed for the trac are wrong. You need the ones listed for the Explorer, part number 72632. these are the ones for the SOHC, the ones listed for the trac are for the OHV 4.0L.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some on here will say that plugs other than the original motorcrafts will cause electrical problems....I myself have the factory motorcraft double platinums with the JBA powercables, and ive been having weird ignition problems lately...i would say you couldnt go wrong with motorcraft.

Good luck

Andy

His question was plug wires... but yes, I put motorcraft plugs in mine with the taylor wires....

Ted... you wont get anymore performance for the cost of the iridiums...they were mainly developed for performance high compression or boosted engines..I would stick with the motorcraft platinums..you will be able to get the exact heat range required...the iridiums are a hit miss heat range...I have freinds that have used them in thier race cars and usually what the book called for was too hot or too cold...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my plugs changed at 92k. asked the Ford dealer when I should change the plugs and if aftermarket would be better. He said the plugs will go well over 100k (I have almost 112k on them now) and I can get the aftermarket plugs if I want to but Ford has put out an excellent product in these wires. If I go aftermarket, I will go Echlin through Napa. That's just me.

Ed

Edman,

It is a well known fact that OE wires are carbon powder mixed with fibreglass. Not very condusive to the conduction of electrical energy. The high ressistance does eliminate RF interference, but the resistance does limit the flow of electric.

Plugs on the other hand are very critical to the combustion of an engine. There are heat ranges, plug depth, and seating differences to contend with.

For example.

My cousin has a 2001 Lincoln LS. It has 30,000 miles on it. He never drives it and when he doesnt drive it, he will start the engine for 5 minutes once a week. (I told him he is doing more damage to it by not driving it then he woud driving it, but that is a different story) Anyway, he was having a miss. I pulled the engine codes and it told me the number 4 cylinder has a misfire. I pulled that plug and it was bad. I stoped by the parts store to buy a plug. NGK did not match the plug. The Motorcraft plug is made by NGK. Autolite, wrong thread length. OK. How about the Iridiums? The OE plugs are gasket seat, but the Iridiums were taper seat. We spent 2 hours trying to get plugs.

Do I really want to screw around with aftermarket plugs?

Tom

Latest posts