which shocks to get

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave feola

Reaction score
hey folks looking at upgrading my shocks, i don't want to spend too much money, i'm looking at either the racnho rs5000 or the monroe relflex ?, can you guys and gals give me the scoop on which is better, etc ,thanks

From the posts that I have read on shock in the past, it seems that of your 2 choices most seem to go with the Reflex.

If you plan to tow or haul any heavy loads, Reflex are the one's to get. A little stiff with one or two people on board; but, with a good size load, they will make your Trac ride like a Lincoln.

Jordan..I got a sales flyer in the sunday paper. You may need to call your local store to verify..

i have the rs5000 on my truck and i would NOT reccommend them...i have always said they are good and i WAS happy with them...but now after about a year and a half they are shot...im not putting Rancho down, but you may as well spend the extra $ for the RSX or the 9000, it will be much more for your money

Dave, Monroe Sensa-Trac and Rancho 5000 are pretty much the same as with the Monroe Reflex and Rancho RSX (all are made by Teneco Corp.). I recommend either the Monoe Reflex, Rancho RSX or Tokico TrekMaster R/T's which give a really good ride. Also, ungrade your front end links to the MOOG front end links for either AutoZone or CarQuest.

I have the monroe sensa trac on all 4 and it drives like my wifes volvo:wub:

When i changed them even my wife noticed the much better ride.

That says a lot for them. Trac drives on rails now. reflex is a tad stiffer ride than the sensa trac. either would be great. depends how you like your ride.;) I like the lux car feel.:p

I dont want to steal this post but... Im looking at doing shocks this weekend along with my TT&Shackle lift. I was going to go with Rancho RSX, I hunt and get into some tough country on occasion, would those be a good choice?

I found these with buy three get the fourth free MONROE REFLEX, MONROE Part # 911035, I saw above that they are the same as RSX, this true for the tough road, off road conditions?

The difference between the Reflex and RSX is the rod cover. Reflex uses the typical metal cover welded to the rod the slides over the shock body. The RSX uses a plastic, accordian boot. Dirt and such can get up into to metal cover on the Reflex while the RSX plastic boot seals out such dirt. Don't know if that makes any real difference in terms of durablity.

Ok I guess its back to the rancho RSX then, I was going ot order them and saw they said they would fit with no lift. If I add a body lift and the TT&shackle lift, will these still fit? Or would I then have to get new ones?

A body lift has no affect on your suspension. And the shackle lift only gives about 1.5" no big deal, put whatever shock on there you want.

Chad

Latest posts