Who Killed Chrysler?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A decade ago, the company was sitting on top of the automotive world. Then the Germans took over - but you can't blame them for everything.

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- The survival of Chrysler as an independent company is looking increasingly unlikely.

The fundamentals of its business structure - unappealing passenger cars, dismal quality, little technology, minimal international operations - are scary enough. Meanwhile, continuous rounds of layoffs have hollowed out the company, starving it of the basic resources it needs to engineer, manufacture and market automobiles.

One executive described Chrysler as looking like an imposing castle from the outside, but actually being empty once you got beyond the front door.

Now debt-holders are balking at government demands to take a haircut, car sales show no signs of improving, and the government's May 1 deadline for demonstrating viability is fast approaching. Having escaped bankruptcy in the late '70s and again in the early '90s, Chrysler appears to have run out of options.

Fiat, once held out as Chrysler's last hope, no longer needs to go through the trouble of a formal takeover. It could easily cherry-pick the company's assets in a liquidation. It would cost the Italian automaker a few bucks more, but it would be a lot cheaper in the long run.

So what happened to Chrysler?

While General Motors has been on a slippery slope for 40 years, the roots of Chrysler's decline are more recent. At the time of its merger with Daimler in 1998, it was the hottest company in Detroit.

With its dream team of engineers, designers, and marketers, Chrysler had created a high-profit lineup of minivans, pickup trucks and Jeeps. At one point, its CEO, Robert J. Eaton, was fantasizing about 20% market share and 8% profit margins. Mixing in Daimler's technical resources, global reach, and the always-tantalizing benefits of synergy should have created a Chrysler recipe for success.

But the Germans hamstrung their new American unit more than they helped it. Their formal business structure clashed with Chrysler's more freewheeling ways and promised resources took a long time to make their way from Stuttgart to Auburn Hills.

And Chrysler made plenty of mistakes on its own. The dream team disbanded, engineering costs skyrocketed and an ill-conceived efficiency program hurt vehicle quality and customer appeal.

In retrospect, the fatal blow was struck when then-CEO Dieter Zetsche tried to stretch the product development budget by churning out more new models with less money. It sounded like black magic -- and as it turned out -- it was.

What Chrysler produced were half a dozen derivative models with eye-catching but cheesy styling, bargain- basement interiors and the worst quality in Detroit. Customers caught on quickly. This year, sales of many models are just one-third of what they were just a year ago:

-- 3,186 copies of the square-cornered Jeep Commander, derided as the box that the smaller Grand Cherokee came in, sold in the first quarter, compared with 9,648 a year ago.

-- The smaller, clunkier and even more angular Jeep Compass performed even more poorly, with 3,147 sold in the first quarter versus 10,400 in the same 2008 period.

-- Looking like an extra from a "Transformers" movie, the Jeep-based Dodge Nitro has lit very few fires. Exactly 5,218 have found buyers this year, as against 15,355 last year.

A special place in the Chrysler Hall of Shame should be reserved for the executive who green-lighted the Sebring sedan. Designed to compete against the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord, the Sebring became a total flop in the midsize segment by trying to combine the virtues of a higher "command seating" position with traditional four door styling. The awkward design satisfied no one. Chrysler managed to sell 30,411 Sebrings in the first three months of last year but just 5, 636 this year.

Instead of 20% market share, Chrysler has notched just 11.2% of U.S. sales in 2009. And of course its profit margin is less than zero.

With that kind of product lineup, why would Fiat want to rush in to save the company? The redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee looks promising, but its arrival in dealer showrooms is many months away. A new Chrysler 300C is on the way, too, but its day may have come and gone. Designs that really turn heads rarely have legs.

Fiat would be far better off bidding for Chrysler's viable pieces after the lights are turned off: the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Wrangler; Chrysler and Dodge minivans, and Dodge trucks.

After it buys the cars and trucks, it may want to acquire the valuable Saturn network from General Motors to have some dealers through which to sell them. And then Chrysler can join American Motors, Studebaker-Packard and all the other departed in the automotive graveyard.

Well, I'm sure that Chrylser's fortunes will soon be improving... now that the UAW will have a majority ownership of the company.:unsure:

UAW Said to Get 55% Chrysler Ownership, Board Seats

By John Lippert and Mike Ramsey

April 28 (Bloomberg) -- The United Auto Workers unions retiree health-care fund will own 55 percent of Chrysler LLC in exchange for cutting in half the automakers $10.6 billion cash obligation to the trust, people familiar with the matter said.

Under the terms of the contract, the trust would get representation on the companys board of directors, said two people briefed on the deal, who asked not to be named because the matter is private.

The tentative agreement was approved unanimously by UAW leaders yesterday and will be sent to union locals for ratification, one of the people said. Chrysler, operating with $4 billion in U.S. loans, faces an April 30 deadline to restructure its costs or risk losing government support.

With employees effectively sharing the risks, this could play to the advantage of the ailing company, said Howard Wheeldon, a senior strategist at BGC Partners LP in London. The UAW role, if confirmed, may be the only feasible way of moving forward, he added.

The U.S. Treasury, which still is negotiating on Chryslers behalf with the companys secured lenders, has little room to give the banks more equity. Fiat SpA would get 20 percent of the company to start, with the ability to increase ownership to 35 percent by hitting performance goals. The Treasury would keep 10 percent.

Shawn Morgan, a spokeswoman for Auburn Hills, Michigan- based Chrysler, declined to comment on the tentative agreement as it still needs to be ratified, she said in an e-mail.

Weak Chrysler Products

The Fiat connection may not be the best approach for saving Chrysler, though employee ownership through the union may help, BGCs Wheeldon said.

The weakness remains Chryslers product base and how quickly this can be adapted with or without Fiats help, the analyst said.

Instead of contributing $8.8 billion to a retiree health- care trust, Chrysler will give the union trust shares of the company and a promissory note for $4.59 billion that will be paid in installments with 9 percent interest until 2023, one of the people said. This reduces the up-front cash Chrysler would have had to pay under its 2007 contract agreement with the Detroit-based union.

The unions equity in Chrysler is valued at $4.2 billion. If it can sell the shares for more, the Treasury would get the difference, one of the people said.

Workers also agreed to changes in work classifications, including the number of types of skilled trades. The contract also has a provision that all new hires for the company in the factories will make $14 to $16 an hour, up to 25 percent of the total Chrysler-UAW workforce. This increased from 20 percent in an earlier contract.

Separately yesterday, General Motors Corp. said it will be at least half owned by the U.S. government under a plan to slash its debt and cut dealer ranks nearly in half.

now that the UAW will have a majority ownership of the company.

I think that is a great idea. Pride in your work because you have a vested intrest in the company. Make it non-profit and you have a recepie for success.

Tom

Make it non-profit and you have a recepie for success.

:huh: I wasn't aware that Chrysler was becoming a non-profit corporation. If so, how is changing a company's business model from for-profit to non-profit a recipe for success?

I wasn't aware that Chrysler was becoming a non-profit corporation. If so, how is changing a company's business model from for-profit to non-profit a recipe for success?

Hmm, what did you mis-understand? I simply said that if the UAW has control, or ownership, in the company and every employee worked for the betterment of the company, those profits that would go to shareholders, can be eliminated.

IMO, that is a recipie for success.

I don't know about your area's, but I know hospitals, ones that are non-profit, are better than those that are "for profit".

Tom

Profit or non-profit doesn't really make a difference in my opinion. Being "employee owned" is the main difference with UAW owning a majority share. I've seen many so-called "employee owned" organizations. Some work, some don't.

Profits that go to shareholders are called dividends. Doing away with those is a bad idea, IMHO. I say that because there are two reasons to buy a company's stock:

1. because you think the stock is going to change dramatically during the holdership period;

and/or

2. because the dividend income from the stock is appealing.

I submit that what is WRONG with the stock market and most companies today is that the corporations and the stock holders give too much "weight" to #1 above. In other words, people and corporations are more interested in the speculative nature of the stock, and moving the stock price (preferably up) as much as possible in a short period of time.

If people focused more on dividends then on simply moving the stock price each quarter, then companies would be focused more on profits.

Profitable companies that pay good dividends quarter after quarter typically have a high stock price that isn't that volatile. Of course, such companies are hard to find these days. IBM used to be one. Still is, relatively.

TJR

Profits that go to shareholders are called dividends. Doing away with those is a bad idea, IMHO. I say that because there are two reasons to buy a company's stock

I don't agree.

With an employee owned business, all the employees have a personal vested interest in the success of the company. With a shareholder setup, it is not vested in the success of the company, but the success in the profit. That does not mean as long as the company is making money everything everything is good with the company. CEO's make dumb decisions to improve their bottom line without regard of company welfare.

That is why companies are in trouble. Short sightedness.

With a non-profit company, all profits go back into the company, the employees self police each other, and ultimatly, hold upper managment personally responsible for bad decisions.

I see it as a win-win.

Tom

Caymen,

I think we are saying some of the same things. For example, I too think many companies today are in trouble due to short-sightedness. My belief is that short-sightedness is in place because many companies are only looking at shifting the stock price, and as such only look down the road a quarter or two.

However, I disagree with a few or your points.

You say:
With an employee owned business, all the employees have a personal vested interest in the success of the company.

True, but ownership can come in many forms. For example: If an employee owns stock in a corporation then they are a part owner of that corporation by definition. As you know, the common definition of stockholder is: An individual or organization with an ownership position in a corporation.

You also said:
With a shareholder setup, it is not vested in the success of the company, but the success in the profit.

Not necessarily true. As a shareholder I am vested in company stock. As far as my "vested interests" go as a shareholder, well that depends on my personal needs. People buy stock and have stock-based ownership in companies for a variety of reasons. Some want consistent, long-term dividend payouts. Others want a quick rise (or fall) in stock price. Others want slower, longer-term growth. Most all of these interests and reasons for holding stock have one thing in common: to make money. The concern that we seem to share is that people can make money through stocks and dividends regardless of whether or not a business is profitable. Therefore, your statement that a shareholder is interested in profit is not completely accurate. A shareholder is interested in making money (typically), and that can be done in the absence of corporate profits (that's the fundamental problem, IMHO).

You also said:
That does not mean as long as the company is making money everything everything is good with the company. CEO's make dumb decisions to improve their bottom line without regard of company welfare.

Agreed. But the reason for that, I submit, isn't because we don't have employee owners (that aren't stockholders), but the reason for that is the emphasis on quarter-by-quarter stock price growth; growth that is often independent of profit, company success, and long-term company viability.

I think companies can turn things around and the stock market can create companies that are successful (or vice-versa: companies can be successful and have attractive stock). I also think publicly traded companies with employees vested in stock options can be good incentives to success.

However, for the above to work, some dedication by the part of the executives must come into play. Giving employees bonuses and incentive pay in the form of restricted stock with restrictions that lapse over time (5 years, minimum) is a good start. Making executives have to play by those same rules goes without saying. Longer vesting periods and an increased emphasis on profitability and dividend growth (which is tied to profitability) should be the metrics that drive stock prices, and they will be when investors demand such.

Lastly, your comment:
With a non-profit company, all profits go back into the company, the employees self police each other, and ultimatly, hold upper managment personally responsible for bad decisions.

That sounds naive to me. How exactly do profits go back into the company? What is to say that executives don't share and disperse most of the profits amongst themselves and the workers get not much of anything (the plantation model, which typically is the way things work in all businesses)? How exactly does this accountability work? All non-profits I have seen seem like an "old boys club" with their rich white guys at the top, all playing golf. The only difference is that the underlings at the NP get paid less than their peers that work in the successful "for profits".

Again, that's what I have seen. Be glad to hear what you have seen.

Employee ownership can work. The employers can be stock holders. That's ownership. Public, for-profit companies can be successful. The major problem as I see it is that investors (and that means employee owners too) have come to define "success" in a very shortsighted way. When investors demand a different definition of success companies will change.

TJR

That sounds naive to me. How exactly do profits go back into the company?

The incentive to "ignore" business obligations, such as letting the building go to hell or ignoring maintenance on equipment, is reduced. Too many businesses let the maintenance go until equipment failures happen. Mind you, I am in the manufacturing side of business and not in an office area with "top of the line" equipment to play with.

I have seen run down trucks, broken windows, leaking seals, and just worn out equipment that should have been replaced years ago. Of course, this is just what I have seen and experience.

Again, that's what I have seen. Be glad to hear what you have seen.

When I was working for my uncle, there was a supplier that we purchased structrual channel from. The employees cared about the company, but the company gave it to the employees whenever they could. The employees had enough. They pooled their money together and opened a business selling the exact same product. They started out small and built it up. They kept their salarys modest until they could build the business up. I quit working for my uncle, but the last time I was in the area, they operate their business in the same building the company they worked for previously was in.

Tom

Caymen,

That's a good example. Yes, I see how that can work with small companies. I just don't see how "employee ownership" can cure the ills of a large company like Chrysler over night.

TJR

I don't think you're using the term "non-profit" correctly in the case of Chrysler, Caymen. In this particular case, Chrysler's re-structuring plan doesn't involve becoming a non-profit [501 (c)(3)] corporation as the term is actually defined:

Whereas for-profit corporations exist to earn and distribute taxable business earnings to shareholders, the nonprofit corporation exists solely to provide programs and services that are of public benefit. Often these programs and services are not otherwise provided by local, state, or federal entities. While they are able to earn a profit, more accurately called a surplus, such earnings must be retained by the organization for its future provision of programs and services. Earnings may not benefit individuals or stake-holders

The UAW/Employees are simply becoming the majority stakeholders/shareholders/stock owners. As such, Chrysler's main purpose will still be to generate a profit for said stakeholders. That's what a publicly-traded corporation does. If not, then the shareholders divest themselves of any interest in the company and it goes under.

With the UAW having a majority interest in Chrysler, the union now has a heavily-vested interest in Chrysler becoming successful and profitable again. A majority interest means they'll have seats on the board, a powerful influence on the direction of the company, and who is hired to run Chrysler. This could be a good thing, and perhaps help them to once again be successful.

The UAW, as majority stakeholder, will bear the majority of the blame, accountability, and responsibility for Chrysler's continued failure, or reap the benefits and receive well-deserved credit for any future success.

Only time will tell...

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR said:

I submit that what is WRONG with the stock market and most companies today is that the corporations and the stock holders give too much "weight" to #1 above. In other words, people and corporations are more interested in the speculative nature of the stock, and moving the stock price (preferably up) as much as possible in a short period of time.

and

The major problem as I see it is that investors (and that means employee owners too) have come to define "success" in a very shortsighted way.

You're probably right. Sadly, I think that this is likely just another by-product of our having become such an ADD, short-attention span, sound-byte, immediate gratification culture.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you're using the term "non-profit" correctly in the case of Chrysler, Caymen. In this particular case, Chrysler's re-structuring plan doesn't involve becoming a non-profit [501 (c)(3)] corporation as the term is actually defined:

I don't recall saying it was going to become non-profit. I do recall saying...

Make it non-profit and you have a recepie for success.

Any questions?

With the UAW having a majority interest in Chrysler, the union now has a heavily-vested interest in Chrysler becoming successful and profitable again. A majority interest means they'll have seats on the board, a powerful influence on the direction of the company, and who is hired to run Chrysler. This could be a good thing, and perhaps help them to once again be successful.

That is correct. Remove the profit from the business so the company can 100% devote operations into rebuilding the company into a productive company and pay the employees well.

IMO, that would push every employee into putting 110% into their job, holding CEO's responsible to make decisions based on the company and not a bonus, and removing the "class warfare" you see between hourly and salary personnel and upper managment vs. lower managment. They are all in the same boat and are all willing to sacrifice to help the cause.

Like people saying that the AIG executives DESERVED the bonus AFTER the most recent Government bail-out. My favorite quote...

"They deserve that money because they had a contract that promised it to them".

Isn't that what the UAW had too? They had a contract and they were promised compensation.

Of course, we know what the difference is.

Tom

Hmmmm??? I wonder if the UAW will be calling a strike on Chrysler now, if they don't get pay themselves enough?? And does than not create a conflict of interest in negotiating with GM and Ford??

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. If Diamler could not fix Chrysler, the UAW can't do it either.

...Rich

If Diamler could not fix Chrysler, the UAW can't do it either.

I work with a couple guys that came from Chrysler. Diamler did not try to "fix" Chrysler. Diamler ran Chrysler into the ground. Diamler did improve quality in Chrysler and in the process lowered the quality in their own vehicles.

On top of that, Diamler was able to incorporate many of Chrysler's engineering into their own vehicles, but would not share Diamler's engineering with Chrysler.

In no way was Diamler looking out for Chryslers best intrests.

But of course, this is coming from guys that worked for Chrysler in managment and engineering.

Tom

Caymen said:
Like people saying that the AIG executives DESERVED the bonus AFTER the most recent Government bail-out. My favorite quote...

"They deserve that money because they had a contract that promised it to them".

Isn't that what the UAW had too? They had a contract and they were promised compensation.

Correct!

The street should run both ways.

I think most would agree that it is unfair when pension gets cut or totally taken away from a retired line worker because the company he worked for has come on hard times. That retiree worked for the company and that pension plan was part of that work contract. Changing the terms of that contract, even if the contract isn't formal is unfair and unjust.

Now compare and contrast that with the Wall Street CEOs. They had contracts too. They were contracted to get bonuses. Their companies came upon hard times too. Some are saying they shouldn't get their bonuses.

Ironically, some of the ones bemoaning the Wall St CEO bonuses are the same ones that cry when the line worker's pension gets cut.

So, which is it guys? Does the street run both ways or not?

TJR

I don't recall anyone, other than AIG, saying they deserved their bonus. The people I heard all screamed when bonuses were given out, and this resulted (or so it was reported) in many of the AIG executives returning their bonus.

The people I heard all screamed when bonuses were given out, and this resulted (or so it was reported) in many of the AIG executives returning their bonus.

Depends on where you get your news from.

Tom

Latest posts