Who runs nitrogen in their ST tires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do any it was worth it cause it seem like i get better gas mile and handling and less worry of beginning under inflated so the cost was the only down side so go for it:)

I am running Nitrogen now. Only had it about 3 weeks. My tires that I replaced were so worn it is hard to fully judge the beenfits, if any, of the Nitrogen vs. the huge improvement of the new tires themselves!! One thing I am noticing is that with the colder weather we are having now it seems to take the tires much longer to begin to warm up a bit, so ride is a little rougher when ambient temp is 20f vs. say 50f. I am running General Grabber HTS, 255/70/16.

I run nitrogen only because Costco put it in with the new tires. The problem is, where do you find more nitrogen when you need to add some? You are supposed to check the pressure with the tires cold. If you then drive down to Costco, the tires are warm when you get there. How much do you add? Where else can you find the nitrogen? Is there a way to have a supply to use at home? Any excessive dangers involved in having nitrogen tanks in the home garage? Inquiring minds want to know.

I use Nitrogen in both sets of tires for the truck. I have found that the Nitrogen maintains a pretty constant tire pressure. Cold/warm weather doesn't affect the pressure as much. I have them rotated every 5K and the pressure checked at that time and they rarely require any refill. Just my experience. Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Nitrogen maintains a pretty constant tire pressure
this is true, which is one reason it's used in aviation applications. However, unless you will be flying at 10,000 feet, I would not worry about it...

If it's free, go for it!

ive used nitrogen in my tires for 2yrs now... have yet to refill my tires or my gf tires or my moms...

$8 here to get 4tires filled... soooooo yea, well worth the peace at mind of not worrying about my air pressure

I agree with reaper. I have been using Nitrogen for years and never have a problem with tire pressure like I did with air.

I run a mixture of 80% nitrogen/20% oxygen roughly and it seems to get me where I need to go.

I run 2 sets of wheels and tires.

20's for summer and stocker's with AT's for Winter and towing, off-road.

The 16's with AT's have a TPMS and neither has ever needed to be added to.

I'm in the rural area of SW Chicagoland, so Mixed highway and local country roads.

Also my 2010 Harley touring bike came stock with nitrogen, and they haven't added any either.

:driving:

First, why is this on the Swap & Sell board???:fire:

It has nothing to do with temperature or alititude. Nitrogen maintains a more constant tire pressure because the nitrogen molecules are larger and do not leak through the sidewalls of the tire as easily. The typical tire filled with compressed air will leak about 1 psi per month.

Also, the lack of air in the tire also slows down the oxidation of the rubber...so that is reported to make the tires last longer. But considering that the exterior of the tire is exposed to air, oil and other contaminates, that probably is an insignificant factor in tire life... However maintaining the proper tire pressure does help prolong the life of your tires.

The real benefit for using nitrogen in your tires would be for storing a vehicle, RV's and boat trailers, etc. that are seasonal, or not used frequently.

Consider that probably more than half the tires on the road in the USA are underinflated. I think getting the operator to even look at the tires and other maintenance items on their cars does more for longer tire wear, engine life, etc.

I would probably never pay to put nitrogen in my tires. I found that the cost of a small air compressor makes it easy to keep the tires inflated and is great for running some air tools and nail guns around the house and garage.

...Rich

I would probably never pay to put nitrogen in my tires. I found that the cost of a small air compressor makes it easy to keep the tires inflated

Bingo!

I'm cheap, I'll use the free, watered-down, nitrogen that my portable air pump in my ST gives me.

If this hadn't been on the S&S board, I'm sure a certain member whom I remember championing nitrogen inflation would have long ago jumped in :grin:

Sorry guys for it being posted on the wrong board, but you found it didn't you? haha!

I was able to delete the body of the post, but not the heading, so I made an honest mistake.

I bought a new STA & had it trucked/trailered in from another dealer & the original dealer had already put nitrogen in the tires, thus the green valve stem caps. It was all new to me, so I went to where you all know it all [not being a smart _ _ _ either], just stating the truth, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site & I was trying to gleem a bit of it on the subject.

In the meantime my selling dealer has topped off my new tires for free w/nitrogen. The tires came w/ 2 @ 30 lbs. & 2 @ 31 lbs. & the door sticker called for 32 lbs. all the way around.

I'll try to do better next time ...

I run it in my tires. I don't really care what others think about nitrogen, but the fact remains that those in motorsports also run nitrogen. There is a reason.

Does it make THAT big of a difference?

Don't know, don't really care. My vehicle, my decision. I have my own nitrogen tank and for about 9 bucks per fill-up, I can fill 8 passenger car tires, 6 SUV tires, or 4 RV tires.

Works for me.

Tom

My local Ford dealer will fill all [4] of your tires w/nitrogen w/free lifetime top offs for $39.95. Of course I didn't have to pay, mine came w/nitrogen & they fortunately [ this time w/it being brand new] topped them off for free. The next top off maybe a different story.

I don't know if it's the nitrogen or not, but w/the 20 inch tires & wheels on the STA the first few minutes/miles is a rough ride, but smooths out pretty much after then. I haven't been that many miles in order to tell much though. It's 3 weeks old now & has less than 150 miles on it.

Latest posts