Why is everyone always passing the buck.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Tassillo

Reaction score
Why when you go into a Ford or any other dealership to get warrantee work or a problem fixed do they look in the vehicle and see aftermarket parts; ie. Alarms, Radios, CAI; do they automatically tell you thats whats causing it. then you have to go through the BS of removing it to prove them wrong.... i dont understand it. We as installers dont blame the dealer when something doesnt work right in a car...... i mean cmon "Quit passing the Buck"

Like how my aftermarket clear corners managed to "melt" the inside of the light socket.

However, I went to another dealer to have some work done, and they didn't say sh!t about anything. Had a TSB serviced, had tranny serviced, told them not to touch the oil, filter, etc, and I had great service and no BS, despite my mods.

just depends on the tech thats dealing with your vehicle. some are just lazy hacks who dont want to have to deal with aftermarket gear, while others are more professional about it and will take the time to troubleshoot.

The MM act really doesn't cover "performance" parts. It's purpose was/is to cover aftermarket stock parts so that you aren't forced to purchase replacement parts from the dealer. It is somewhat open to interpretation but goodluck pleading your case to the dealer.

Keep in mind, each dealer is different and will treat the aftermarket parts issue differently. I learned the hard way that MM does not cover "modding" your truck so keep that in mind when going to the dealer. Also if you still have your warranty manual for the trac, read it. Here's and excerpt from mine.

<a href="http://www.zjstech.net/~library/7804/other/WarrantyP_7.gif"target=top>Page 7</a>

<a href="http://www.zjstech.net/~library/7804/other/WarrantyP_7.gif"target=top>Page 8</a>

Dealers can get more money from you than they can from Ford for doing warranty work.

Roger is correct. Print a copy of the Magnuson/Moss Warranty Act with you and advise the dealer that the mear presents of aftermarket parts is not legal grounds to deny warranty service.

Having said that, you need to consider the type of aftermarket parts that you have installed. Some aftermarket parts can cause problems and are not covered under the warranty.

...Rich