why is my truck cutting off at idle?? any ideas?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Bane

Reaction score
in the mornings, at times, she'll cut off....sometimes backing out of the driveway or sometimes slowing down to make a turn...kinda scary when the truck dies when your making a turn.......any ideas out there??

fuel filter needs changed? or maybe your fuel pump is not working properly

that's only a first coulple of guesses, I'm sure others will post soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great one. I had the exact same problem with my regular explorer and actually considered trading it in because of it. First I did a search on the explorer forum and found this fix. If it runs OK at higher RPM but like crap at 1000 and below try this out.

First look at the drivers side of the engine there you should see a square to rectangle box about 2" to 2x3" with a three wire plug on it. It should be just behind the throttle body butterfly. this is the slow speed/idle butterfly bypass. it is a solinoid that allows air to go around the butterfly when the engine is at very low RPM's. this part gets alot of the valve cover/engine breather soot thru it and it sticks. when it does the engine stalls or runs like @#$%. This part only has two screws holding it to the throttle body, remove these and unplug it. Take it to a parts cleaner or get some carb cleaner and clean up the ports on this and work the solinoid spool piece. (take out the o-rings prior to cleaning) Alot of cleaners will eat these rings up. When everything is working good replace and try it out.

Thanks, tried what you said and messed with the IAC valve also....everything seems to be working right.......will see what happens in the morning when it usually happens.:unsure:

There was a member that had the same issue for years, I think it turned out to be something you would never think of...

hopefully he will chime in..

Todd Z