Will a 2008 ST "49" state pass CA SMOG?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris smith 5

Reaction score
I'm Military overseas. I sold my 01 ST right before moving to Turkey and I'm just about finished with my tour here. I've found a 2008 ST V8 that I want to buy but things are getting tricky. My next duty assignment is Travis AFB. I understand that a vehicle must have more than 7500 miles on it before coming to cali, and I know that I would normally be exempt because I'm military but here is the problem.... First, I'm a California resident. Have been for 9 years. Second, the truck will be purchased from out of state and never previously registered by myself. As I understand it, if I previously registered it another state I'm good to go because I'm military. If it comes down to it, and I'm not able to skirt the emission requirements, will it pass California SMOG? The lady at the DMV says passing smog may be my only chance.......

My 02 which I purchased in VA passed CA smog testing with no problems when we moved to CA.. But I think there is more to it than just passing smog, might want to check with multiple DMV sources to verify they will still register it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a CA resident all my life, so I am not sure how to answer your question. I can give it my best shot. I see from your profile that you are from North Dakota, so you could possibly register it there then bring it to CA. Also, check with the Air Force to see what your options are. You can do a pre-test at a dealer, or a place that is not a Smog Only Test Station.

Shoot me an email when you get to Travis, and we can have a mini meet.

Is no such thing as kali smog legal, all cars built in the last 25 yrs are kali legal

Any car shipped to any state is the same.All meeting kali smog rules.

Eh, I want the truck so bad I think I'll just do it! What about the Use tax? Am I going to get screwed based on the value because I've never registered it in my name?

Let me see if I can clear it up for you a bit. First off let me tell you that I am a licensed State of CA smog tech. WIth that out of the way...

Years ago Ca had an annoying little clause in the way they licensed vehicles that stated if a car being registered in CA for the first time was not equipped with CA emissions that it had to be inspected(all vehicles do anyway) and a one time fee of $300 had to be paid on top of the normal registration fees. I believe that in 99 or maybe even 2000 that they got away from this law. It was basically a cash cow for CA and really only mattered on cars that were built before 1990 because at the time there were some pretty major differences in cars that were CA equipped and ones that were not. Now I haven't done emission work in CA since 2004 but when I left CA they had done away with this fee. Unless CA has brought it back recently to try to raise more money it shouldn't be an issue. What I have heard that they brought back was the VLT(vehicle license tax) that all people must pay. It adds a healthy fee onto the cost of registration. We have it here in AZ also but CA is a bit more expensive. Now there is some truth to the 7500 mile clause. It was put into place to deter people form buying vehicles out of state and immediately registering them in CA and avoiding paying for CA emissions on the vehicle.

In regards to the vehicle passing smog inspection, as long as it is stock i wouldn't loose any sleep over it. When the vehicle is entered into the states smog computer it will automnatically recognize if it is a CA emissioned vehicle or a FED vehicle adn will adjust test parameters accordingly. Honestly I can't think of what would be different between the 2 anymore these days, I think the only difference may be a slight change in the programming to lean out a CA emissioned vehicle.

Bill

all cars built within the last 25 years are not automatically CA smog legal...there are differences

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it has 18,000 miles on it. So its not a new vehicle by CA standards. It should pass a SMOG test, then I get it inspected by the DMV to verify odometer and I should be good to go. The DMV folks wont give me a straight answer on the Use tax though. If taxes were previously paid on the truck then I should be good, but since I will be purchasing it from out of state and driving to California without registering until I get there....... I dont know.

From the link that Paul posted:

Exceptions

As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.

Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.

Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.

Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

Yeah, I read that info Rodger. Problem for me is going to be that I will not have previously registered the vehicle anywhere in the US. I'll be getting off a plane from Turkey and picking the truck up en route to Cali. I'm a little nervous, but I dont think I can pass on the truck. My fingers are crossed. I guess I'll bring this thread out of the archives when I arrive in California in 2 months time!

Neither one of the links that Paul posted state anything about returning from an overseas duty station to a CA duty station. So, you can either call / email the CA DMV or get the ST registered in the state where you were last stationed before going overseas.

I know for a fact when Saturn Came out They built cars that were 49 state and separate Kali cars. There was a sticker under the hood stating that the car DID NOT MEET Kali emissions and a kit was needed to be fitted to make it Kali approved.

But all the ST's built meet all the state emissions....

Todd Z

Don't know if it still holds but my '95 camaro (49 state legal) was registered by my son in California back when. They charged him a one time fee and the Camaro was good to go in California. He was required to pass 49 state smog from then on. I believe it was because he was not a state resident at the time of purchase.

Latest posts