will explorer rear axle work on my 2001 sport trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike moore

Reaction score
looking to get a junkyard replacement rear axle for my 2001 sport trac. i was wondering if any one had any info on what axles from what other fords will work as a replacement? like years an models like explorers or rangers???? thanx for any ideas

95-01 Explorer axels will bolt up, and will have disc brakes. Some models will have traction bars also, but they don't bolt up, although they can be made to work if you really want them. Some will also have a 3rd shock that runs parallel with the axels. You'll have 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 ratios to choose from, all available with limited slip.

Just watch the ranger I believe it is smaller...

Todd Z

The Ranger rear end is 1.5" narrower overall, has springs pad on top rather than under, and has 28 spline axles instead of 31 spline (except FX4 models). Stick to the Explorer's.:cool:

Also make sure the axle ratio on the axle you buy is the same as what you have in the front.

If you already knew that, sorry, no offense intended.

IIRC, the Sport Trac is the only one that came with a 4.10 as an option. If you have a 4.10 rear end, you are stuck with a Sport Trac rear end.

Tom

Latest posts