Winter Gas!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
Okay so it's past Oct 15 here in NJ and they've started using winter gas again. I don't even get 300 miles out of a full tank anymore. Does anyone have any solutions to this?I put about 400 miles a week on my truck just driving back and forth to work and I'd like to get close to a full week out of a tank of gas. I'm putting the K&N FIPK on in the next couple of days but what about an additive maybe?

TIA

Jake

Where I live, we get the lousy gas in the summer. I run 89 then instead of 87 and then it's all good and the mpg is better enough that I save money running 89. Try that for a couple of tanks. Maybe apples and oranges, but the owners manual for my jetski says to use 87 unless it's oxygenated fuel and then you should use 89.

Yay, winter gas. I don't think there is a solution unless you move somewhere warm.

The FIPK may lessen economy. It is my understanding that cold air is a performance measure, not a fuel economy one. Warm air gives better economy.

drive slower, leave earlier to avoid traffic.

Any additive may just make up the difference in the cost of extra gasoline.

jlevin, i live on eastern long isle and drive about the same mileage as you do.( also have the fipk and magnaflow cat back exhaust ). i usually get 15-16 mpg year round, with about 310 miles per tank. in my opinion , i really don't think it matters. we are driving a 4800 pound truck ( 4x4 ) , with a under powered motor so fuel economy is not going to be the best.

i get about 300 miles to the gallon, but i use all of it, when i fill up i always fill up at least 21 gallons one time i filled up and it was at 21.75 ., my tank is only 22 gallons i think.

I can only run 89 in mine if I don't it raps like Eminem but get 19-20 mpg and usually fill up at 320-340 miles and put in 16-17 gals in each time. That is city/highway use 50/50%. it doesn't change in the winter at all except if I use 4x4 ALOT.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're not getting good mileage, I would seriously suggest doing a tune up on the Trac, or take a close look at your driving habits.

I'm a racing fool and love to floor it with my Trac. However, I have averaged my mileage at about 8-9MPG in NYC, and 18-21MPG cruising on the HWY at 80MPH.

MTBE is no longer suppose to be in the NE gasoline winter blends any more. It was a dreadful carcinogen that has polluted a tremendous amount of ground water and provided less mpg, thus using more fuel. Leave it to the EPA to help us out. I do not know what they replaced it with, probably another carcinogen.

Leave it to the EPA to help us out. I do not know what they replaced it with, probably another carcinogen.

I see you're all paying attention to all the posts on this site.

MTBE was replaced with 10% Ethanol. 85% Ethanol gasoline is what is called E85. The stuff made from fermenting corn.