Wrench indicator

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello friends! Thanks, in advance, for any and all advice. I absolutely love my ST and want to keep the Little Red Wagon happy.

I purchased a 2007 4x4 6cyl. back in April with 162K.

Shortly after taking delivery of the vehicle, the wrench indicator on the dash was illuminated. I thought maybe I drove it without the overdrive on, as that light was on also. I couldn't see it right away due to placement of the steering wheel. When I started the vehicle again, the wrench indicator light was off. A few days later, it came on again. This time I thought maybe I drove at higher speed in L3 and the tranny maybe got hot. The next time I started the vehicle, the wrench indicator light was off. Every time the light comes on, once the vehicle is turned off and restarted, the light goes off.

There is no 'event', sound, or anything when the wrench light comes on, I just look down, and there it is. I inquired Auto Zone to see if I could drop by and have them OBD scan it, but the guy told me it's a maintenance indicator light, oil change, 165K mileage maintenance or something like that. So, I took her for an oil change, as it was about due anyway. While there, I asked them to check the transmission fluid level and was told I would have to take it to a dealer or transmission shop because they couldn't do it. Okaaaaay? Any oil change place I've ever been to shows you the quality of all fluids and asks whether or not you want them changed/flushed, etc... Also inquired about the wrench light and they couldn't give me a good, solid answer.

Any thoughts or advice on this will be greatly appreciated. I just love this truck and want it to last a minute.

Owners manual states:

Powertrain malfunction indicator: Illuminates when a powertrain or a
4x4 fault has been detected. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as
possible.

Thanks, Rod Mann Deux! I read that in the owner's manual and was wondering if any members had experienced this scenario while I schedule a visit to the dealership I bought it from.

Best to get your own ODB2 Scanner to read+diagnos problems in your own driveway\garage;
trying to fix a vehicle using the PartsStore scanner is problematic & many don't read all codes.
Have a OBDLink.MX+ ~ BlueTooth ~ AndroidPhon ~ OBDLink+TorqueApps
& the OBDLink.EX ~ USBCable ~ WindowsPC ~ ForScanApp; happy with both.
There are many other OBD2 Scanner hardware\software options.

I had the wrench come on, as well as the ABS light and the loose traction light all at the same time. The code said bad front passenger hub, and sure enough, that puppy was about to fall apart.o_O New front hub assembly and all is better. The bitch is that I did both front hubs 2 years ago. Guess that's what I get for running larger tires.

As for the transmission thing, these trucks have a weird transmission. No obvious dipstick, nor place to check level, and even if you could, no obvious place to put new fluid in. I guess its a "closed system" hence the need for dealer or transmission shop servicing. With that said, the tranny in my V8 Gen 2 is just about done and plan on replacing it in the next month. I can barely hold speed going up a hill, and if I'm carrying a load, I'm down to about 20mph and doing everything I can not to grind the gears right out of the thing. But I love the truck, so remanufactured tranny it is.

Thanks, Dillard and G Man, for the additional information. I will invest in the OBD2 scanner. I'm not confident in the dealer I bought it from, and am considering taking it to another Ford dealer. Yes, I sure do love this truck, and hoping to make it last at least until it's paid off.

Mine's paid off but the truck is in overall nice condition and the engine is strong, so I'll put the $$ in and hope to keep it on the road for a bunch more years.

Need the proper scanner for the ABS, Trans and other codes.... Could be a hundred things... The truck is seeing a problem. Id go to the previous owner and ask about warranty… Most states require a dealer to have a warranty on used vehicles.