WTF? Stupid cheap tube steps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
So WTF? I had my westin tube steps linexed so they'd stop rusting. I went to put them back on tonight and somehow I broke the weld that holds the nut in for the bolt that holds the tube to the bracket. I was testing the hole when I was doing this to make sure I could get the bolt in, so now the tube is off the bracket with an f-ing bolt sticking out of it that I can't get off. Since the weld broke it just spins and spins. Any ideas? The only one I have is to cut the bolt out and try to reweld the nut in place. That'd really f-up the linex I just had put on them.

Rich,

you just found out why I have always said that Westin was junk.

Sorry about the problem, but besides welding it in place not much will work.

Maybe JB Weld?

I bought my truck in December and put a Westin Bar on the front and it is rusted almost through already...POS

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised to hear this. I had Westin Step Bars on my Ranger for 8 years and they were solid to the end. Oh well!:unsure:

Of course I live in Cali. maybe the weather makes a diff.

Same here. It's been about 2 1/2 years since I got my grill guard (Westin) and I have had no problems at all so far.

I really don't need opinions on the quality, but ideas on how to fix it. I think weather does make a difference, if you don't get road salt you probably dont' rust as much.

-edit-

and to clarify, I didn't buy these they came on the truck when I bought it used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, because obviously I thought of that already and didn't think it would mess up the linex I just paid to have put on it.

(In response to CB's question:)Had my Bed Extender for 3 years with no problems. It still looks new, but it's not steel, so rust shouldn't be a problem. It's held up quite well, and got it for less than half what the local Ford dealer wanted.

[Broken External Image]:

BigBearCarolina - Thanks for the info on the Westin bed extender. I'll be looking for one for an '07. I know the Westin version will probably get in the way of the tiny storage bins but the stock Ford bed extender doesn't look like it provides very good access either.

Well, we fixed them last night. We tried to dimple the collar of the nut to hold it in place, that didn't work, so we drilled a hole through the collar and inserted a nail into it. That held it enough to take out the bolt and it'll hold it enough to put it back on the truck.