xcal 2 or 3

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith wallace01ST

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to order my x call.. "yeah it is time"I see I can get 3 tunes with it. I know I want one for towing and one set up for better mpg... I have a 2001 trac and I always run 87 octane fuel...What would you guys suggest the 3rd one be set up for???

Are you asking how many tunes to get or which X cal to get.??

I think the Xcal 3 is the only being sold now....

As far as tunes...

1) 87 Towing

2) 87 performance

3) 87 highway

Just my thoughts

Todd Z

I know i get 3 tunes that is cool...

What about one for maximum gas mileage I guess that would be in the performance tune ????

I am planning ordering the xcall 3

Thanks Todd for the advice

That would be an Economy tune....

I don't like them because the timing and power is sooooo backed off that you have to hit the throttle more to get going thus using MORE gas...

Now if your taking a 800 mile trip with little stops, then the economy tune is the way to go..

Todd Z

Now this is the first I've heard of a highway tune. What exactly does this type of tune accomplish? I assume it would be somewhat like an economy tune.

Ray

Ray exactly, But the timing and a/f ratio is slightly different for LONG highway driving..

I would not use a highway tune for local stop and go

Todd Z

This is the first that I have heard of a highway tune to but it sounds good. Maybe i'm asking for to much detail, but what is the diff between the Highway and Economy Tune? It sounds like neither are recommended for local stop and go driving but what makes them different?

Edit: spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
"1) 87 Towing

2) 87 performance

3) 87 highway"

What does the Xcal make changes to?

Engine?

Transmission shifting?

something else (not sure what that would be)?

I am interested in the towing and highway/economy tunes mostly. The performance tune sounds like fun on a nice spring day.

I tow a 4,000 - 5,000 lb camper (depending what I bring on the trip) 6 or 8 times a year and would be curious what the xcal would do for me.

Additionally, I take several 4,000 mile trips (mostly highway) a few times a year as well. Just came back from a holiday trip and averaged 21mpg at 65 to 75 mph. I wonder what the difference would be with a highway tune.

I am also curious like Lil Red what the differences between highway and economy tunes are.

I'm sure it's not a simple answer but any information would help me make a decision if the cost of an xcal is worth it to me.

Just curious.

Jimmy, I noticed in your profile you have not done any modifications to your V8. I highly recomend the Zabtech modified throttle body, especially since you do a significant amount of towing. I have seen increased throttle response, HP and overall driveability with the modded TB. As long as you're not to aggresive with the extra power(by way of your right foot), increased fuel economy will also be realised. Very pleased with mine and I recomend it to all the V8 owners.

Sorry for going off topic...:)

I've never done any kind of engine/performance upgrades on this truck. All my mods are cosmetic - Tonneau cover, nerf bars, steering wheel cover (Wheelskins.com) things like that.

Admittedly, I'm not mechanical in anyway (anymore) and don't have time to mess with things like that. I'd rather have someone do it for me. My truck is new, 10,00 miles now and the thought of messing with the mechanics of a new, warranted vehicle makes me apprehensive. Don't want to void any warranty. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

I read all the posts regarding performance/engine mods but shy away - for no other reason than not knowing what TRULY helps or doesn't help.

Many years back, I owned a Dakota V8 Sport and made several mods like air intake, catback dual exhaust hoping to increase performance. Nothing really helped so now I just leave it stock. It DID sound GREAT but pissed off all the neighbors.

Is something like a Throttle Body easy to do myself?

I DO trust everyones opinion on this site - sounds like many of you really know what your talking about and if not, you honestly admit it and find out the real answer. I really appreciate the involvement from our site sponsors Todd and Paul. That's all we can ask.

Again, I'm not a gear head anymore. I'm gettin' too old for that. I simply want a good looking truck that gets good mileage, can tow within reason and any mods I may make, don't hurt anything in the long run.

As always, I GREATLY APPRECIATE your and anyones input.

Lil Red, Thanks !!! Checks in the mail....LOL

Jimmy,

Check out the installation project for the TB, It takes about 10-15 min to install for the average person.....

Todd Z

Alright - seems simple - even for me! (THANKS)

Todd - before I order, what else can you add towards the benefits? And... what does the TB actually do? Sorry for my ignorance - like to learn tho.

Should I be concerned about my existing warranty?

Sounds like a no brainer but the more information the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd, the only thing you owe me is a promise to keep putting out good products!

Jimmy, it's truely as simple as the installation instructions show. I didn't have to adjust the idle or anything when I installed mine. In regards to warranty, I have taken my truck in 2 times to get the updated PCM programs done (TSB details in my Library) and no issues at all. I think you'll be pleased with the results but Todd nor myself will be responsible when you start pushing that right foot harder to feel the added power :)

We have great ST files !!!

Link to the X3 power flash :

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator