XCAL 3

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
Just ordered an XCAL 3 today from torrie, didn't get a chance to speak with him yet though. What sort of tunes would ya'll recommend I get? The octane rating here on oahu is 87, 89, and 92. I would like more torque and HP, not to concerned with gas mileage. Wanna start doing those burnouts I get so envious of (you know who you are). :cool:

I personally got an 87 performance, 89 torque and 93 performance. The 87 performance has completely changed my Trac into something I never knew she could be, man she can run now! And I haven't even tried the 93 performance tune yet, I almost can't wait to use this tank of 87 just so I can use the 93 performance tune. :D

If I were you I would get an 87 performance tune for everyday driving, 92 performance and 92 torque (or whatever it's called). If the premium octane tune is anything like the regular grade tune, you won't be disappointed with your gains. :cool:

If I were you I would get the everyday tunes for the fuel that is the cheapest there (here in west central Illinois and southeast Iowa, it is 89 w/10%ethanol) and the 92 perf for the special tune for doing burnouts. FYI--I just recently received my xcal from Torrie and according to him you can tow using the econo or the perf tunes.

So the higher the octane, the more HP and torque?

Edit: Would I need to use up the whole tank of 89 octane before using a tune for a different octane? What would happen if I used 89 octane with a 92 or 87 tune?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a little piece of an email I got when I asked about the X-Cal

The higher octane allows us to add more aggressive spark timing. Advancing the timing, within limits, equals better low end and midrange throttle response and improved fuel mileage.

This also equals more power. Even from just the 87 octane tune I have I cannot believe the difference that a tune can make, so the 92 should only be better.

And yes, you need to use the entire tank of one octane before switching to another. I believe I remember someone saying that they did not use the entire tank of one octane before switching, and they experienced knocking and just a generally rough ride. Always use up one octane before switching tunes for a different grade.

I think the big thing is not to use the tune meant for the 92/93 octane with the 87/89 octane fuel. If I remember right, other members have said that it can be a potentially explosive situation in regards to your engines internal parts-bye bye engine.

I got an 87 economy tune for better gas milage. It works very well. I am avg. 20 city / hwy. You might also consider the Scream'n Demon coil & Live wires or Taylor-Vertex Thunder Volt wires color matched to your vehicle. You can open the spark plug gap a little bit too with the new coil & wires.

You can Run an 87 tune with 93 gas but NOT a 93 tune with 87 gas....

Detonation city !!!!!

Todd Z

I was wondering if the effects of the tunes that you load into the PCM of the ST make an immediate change or if it takes a bit for the truck to re-learn using the new settings caused by the tune.

I am using the 87 performance tune, and it just runs better. Acceleration from a stop has improved greatly, acceleration at highway speeds is much easier, the transmission shifts better, and I can now go over 99 MPH ;)

I have the XCAL 2 from Torrie,

I run the 93 Performance tune. With my foot and Mods (just a Zabteck TB and Volant intake) It seems to be the best for me..

You might have to Experiment with a few tunes to find whats right for you.

I get around 300 to 350 mile per tank. with it compared to the 250 I was getting before the XCAL

The calibration changes I make are in effect the moment your done flashing the vehicle. Also note that although the flasher hold's 3 files if a customer of mine needs me to make base changes this can be done remoteyl thru email after the fact. So most get a lot more then just 3 tunes from me.

Oh and as Todd stated above do not use a premium fuel file with 87 octane.

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator