XCAL2/3 Owners....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62851

Reaction score
First thing though. This isn't to put down the product or to say don't buy. I just want other knowledge of those who have the product that can chip in and say what kind of MPG they are getting and with what gas: 87, 89, 93 and stuff.

(04 Adrenalin 4x4 ST)

Well for me, I had used 87/E10 mix and noticed that I can only get about 280mpt/2gallons left. With using 93/E10 mix, I get about 290mpt/2gallons left. Now with 87 no blend, I get 300mpt/2gallons left and 93 no blend, I get 310mpt/2gallons left.

Now I have almost every upgrade option on my truck. So don't know whether it helped or hurt it, but seems like I'm not getting the results I had really hoped for. I know when I first bought the truck, I got around 380 out of a tank with nothing added. After bigger tires, I got 260. With all the upgrades without XCAL3, I got around 330. Now I'm no where close to that.

(All my upgrades are listed in my profile.)

What is everyone else getting out there?

Had traveled 379.8 miles when I filled up last night, I made her take 18.001 gals. The tank before that a week ago went 401.7 when I put in 21.005 gals. I put my foot in her a lot on that one:)

I have the xcal2 on 87 octane, MAC air intake w/ flowmaster 50 and dual exhaust. I fill up regularly at the same Shell station, 2.99 a gal.

D-

call the suplier and get a tune made for you exact set up... i am going to get one set up for towing,otmum fuel economy and a setting to have some fun with

here in canada I run 87 octane all the time and then every 3rd tank i add lucas fuel conditioner

so i dont want and setting for premium setting because i can justify the extra 10cent per liter it cost

try that and call torri

How do you know you are driving until it there is only 2 gallons left?

Forget the fuzzy math you are trying and calculate the correct way. MPT is wrong.

MPG is what you should worry about. Fill your tank and then drive. When you fill it back up, do this A/B=X So A=Miles driven B=Gallons of fuel used X=MPG

So, if you drive 300 miles and it takes 17 gallons to fill it up, you calculate it this way...

300/17=17.647 MPG

Tom

I didn't want to break out the calculator. I am just going by the number shown on my digital odometer. I always fill up when the fuel level needle is almost on the red line. When I refill, there is "usually" 2 gallons left. But I'm saying. I had thought the MPT would have been increased other than decreased, but also could be considered, I'm getting some bad gas.

When I purchased the XCAL3, I was sent the files that worked for my system. I just thought I'd ask how everyone else, or if those got better or worse or whatnot. Be good to know, just to know, ya know.

Maybe on my next fill up, I'll do the calculator. Thanks for the info on how to make that work though.

Using the little message center is not accurate. it will give you an idea, but not the right idea.

Tom

Also remember that Stock your ST computer is trying to run your truck at Stoic, at 14.7:1 Air Fuel ratio while cruising. At WOT it may allow it to get to 13.2 or so....

Now once you get a tune from a tuner you A/F ratio will be close to 12.9-13.2 almost ALL the time, EVEN while cruising.

If your tune is strictly for HP and not MPG or a mix, your mileage will suffer...

My 197 RWHP tune gets me 21-22+ MPG on the highway and 18 around town, beating on it..

MY 206 RWHP tune gets me 18 highway and 15 or so local beating on it..

Food for thought..

Todd Z

And what is the base RWHP of the gen 1 st? Searching doesn't get me the actual wheel hp :(

Just out of curiosity, how many different tune files can you put on the Xcal3? The improved gas mileage one would be good (especially since it doesn't seem to sacrifice power), but it would take years for the gas savings to pay off the 300 some odd dollar toy, which isn't that practical.

However, if I could pack all the tunes for various applications onto one unit, the flexibility and the fun of playing around with the truck could make the 300 price tag of the "best st mod" easier to cope with.

BeerD,

Tom is right. You have to do the math to accurately know what your MPG is. You can certainly get an idea using the miles per tank and computer, but it's only a ballpark idea. I have been comparing the computer on my 08 to actual and they are not always the same. The computer is usually a bit optimistic. I just write down the miles traveled and the gallons required to fill up for every tank and then I can figure out the mileage by looking at the notes when I have time.

Todd that isn’t entirely the case or how I calibrate vehicles.. I command stoich (based on the exact fuel type used)for most all PT low TP sometimes above that for more MPG. We set the base fuel table to command 12.5:1 under WOT only. But the rest of the time in closed loop its going to look for the narrow 02’s to switch at 14.7:1.

So you can indeed make more power and increase MPG simultaneously. You don't have to kill HP to make MPG and vice versa.

FYI the Xcal2 and X3 hold 3 custom files.

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator

Can a program change the shift points? I would like to set critieria that the ST can't get into 5th gear/overdrive until it is above 65mph.

I have a Job 1 2001 ST with a 4.10 rear and 265/75R16 tires. The computer is set to 265/70R16 tires and at 65 MPH on the Speedo my Garmin GPS and Uniden GPSRD state that I am going 70MPH. I am aware that my mileage will in turn be a little off. No accounting for these errors I get about 14-15.5 MPG. If I tow a trailer with 2 atvs I get about 11-12 MPG.

I only have a K&n filter added in terms of performance. I have a 32 miles each way commute and the truck is on a 1/4 take around 200 miles. How is everyone getting high 300's per tank.

the best mileage I ever got in this truck was 18MPG when I disabled overdrive and made sure not to go over 55MPH on a whole tank.

Todd Z said:
My 197 RWHP tune gets me 21-22+ MPG on the highway and 18 around town, beating on it.

If I could get that, I'd think about keeping my Trac when the lease is up. Soon.

Yes I can freely recalibrate the transmission shift lock schedule.

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator