Xcal2 Question - Pinging

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Cloutier

Reaction score
I have a question for those with experience adjusting the Xcal2 programs. I loaded the premium performance program into my Trac yesterday for the first time (I'm using WFoy's tunes) and I'm getting pinging starting around half throttle while accelerating.

I have the tune files and the Extreme Tune software on hand. Is there any adjustments that I can make using the Extreme tune program (I noticed an engine timing adjustment and an air/fuel adjustment in the software) to eliminate the pinging?

what octane fuel are you running? you'll get pinging if you are running anything below 92 octane (if you had a half tank of 87 and filled it up with 93, that won't cut it)

If it is Wayne's tune where he shut off the EGR valve settings, and did not adjust the a/f ratio, you will ping....

Try a can of octane booster to see if it goes away.....

Best thing is to log using the Xcal and have a new tuner adjust your tune for the proper a/f ratio and timing...

Todd Z

Z is right, its most likly the timming. I have a Diablo Predator which is basically the same thing. I am not familiar w/ that tuner or the options, however just go into the timming and take out small amounts until it goes away (1 degree if thats the way it is stated).

Todd C. I am no expert but it sounds like you need to set back the timing a little, maybe 1 or 2 degree's.The problem is that you have to have your tune in an .xtr to adjust in extreme tunes.I doubt that It was sent to you in that fashion.But I am still learning on the xcal, so I may be way off._Ron

It's an XTR file. I set the global timing back 1 deg for the drive home from work, but the rain on my windshield kinda drowned out any noise from the engine compartment. I'll have to check on it tomorrow.

2 items are generally the route cause of detonation / pinging. To much spark advance for the given octane fuel used or a lean AF condition

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com

http://www.srt8tuning.com

SCT Custom Chip / Flasher dealer

Wideband Dyno tuning is back on !!!

Latest posts