XCAL2 VS. Apten chip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Cotton

Reaction score
Since 12/31/2003, I have been running an Apten chip with the two position switch, one for the stock position, and one for the 87 octane performance tune, specifically for towing my 18 ft. travel trailer with my late model 02 Trac which is really the 03 trac with everything but the rear wheel disc brakes. I had no other modifications done at that time other than running LT235/85R16 tires. The chip gave me a noticeable improvement in power, and great gas mileage, never less than 21 mpg on the highway. The biggest improvement I was after was the firmed up shifts to prolong auto trans life.

Since then, I have gone to an Air-Aid cold air intake system, and a stainless cat back exhaust system. I did both mods at the same time, and gained a very noticeable increase in power. But, these mods reduced my gas mileage by 2-3 MPG in both city and highway driving. I contacted Wayne Foy by e-mail and told him about the decreased mpg, and he said that he could rectify that by reprogramming my Apten chip. But, it turned out my chip was a Diablo chip and Wayne could only program Superchips. What to do??

With the price of gas, I decided to buy from Wayne his tuned XCAL2, being he has a ST, and has developed proper ST tunes. I had him tune it to an 87 octane performance tune, and when I programmed my Trac, I immediately felt a BIG improvement in power over the Apten chip. Where I usually push the gas pedal for aprox. a 45 mph speed limit, my wife said "hey, you're speeding", and I was actually doing 55 mph. I now go up a very steep, long highway hill one gear higher. BEST of all, I have gained all of my gas mileage back, plus 1 mpg.

My hat is off to Wayne Foy! This is not an add for his XCAL2, but just my experience with it. I would highly advise anyone to get one for increased performance, improved firmed up shifts, and a definite improvement in miles per gallon of expensive gas.

Gary :D:D

Just FYI for anyone running an Apten chip, in Louisville at the Dyno, we could hear Tom's (Caymen's) ST pinging up on the dyno; he was running the 93 tune and using 93 gas...

The diff. is that you can get more tunes (i.e. 87 better mpg tune, 87 or 93 performance tune & a towing tuen), and have each one specifically tuned to your individual vehicle by creating a data file and sending it to Hypnotic Illusions. They'll send you back what specifically you need to do to make your tune even better for your vehicle.

Just FYI for anyone running an Apten chip, in Louisville at the Dyno, we could hear Tom's (Caymen's) ST pinging up on the dyno; he was running the 93 tune and using 93 gas...

Something I forgot to mention during the Dyno test... When I filled up with 93 octane fuel, I have 3/8 of a tank of 87 octane in there, so I wasn't running true 93 octane fuel. Odds are, it was closer to 90 or so, depending on how good the 93 octane fuel I put in the tank actually was.

Not that I am defending my chip or anything. When I run the tank dry, fill up with 93 octane fuel, and use the 93 tune it does not ping. It might have been an isolated incidence with temperatures at about 90 degrees and the lower octane fuel.

Tom

Andrew, you can't buy an Apten chip anymore. The owner of the company went to work for Superchips. When I bought my Apten chip which was the single program chip with stock position switch, it cost me $260. delivered.

Gary

Latest posts