xcall III ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason vocaty

Reaction score
Ok so after reading about the xcal III i was wondering a bit more about tuning chips i am clueless in this area of modifications i have a 03 trac completely stock and would like better gas mileage and more performance when needed i would opt for gas mileage only if i had to make a choice normally run 87 octane in the trac i guess the price of gas has us all wondering what to to next

any opinions are appreciated thanks guys

I'd say so.

It would take a long time to pay itself off in fuel savings over stock. It's really not that big a difference.

I'll be testing mine next week.

Yep, buy it for performance. IMO, the econo tune would only make up the $$ difference if you drive highway alot, and keep your foot out of it.

My 04 is mainly stock with just intake and exhaust.....

With no tuner it was 14-16 MPG...... after 87 performance tune it now gets 19-20 around town... I never took it on a long enough trip to calculate the MPG.....

Todd Z

I'm doing this for a Gen II V8 but the fuel economy ratings are pretty close. I believe they are 1 MPG apart.

Sport Trac 13 MPG City:

12,000 miles per year for 36 months

22 gal fuel capacity

13miles per gal x 22 gal = 286 gal per tank.

12,000 miles / 286 = 42 tanks per yr.

42 tanks x 3 years= 126 tanks for term.

126 tanks x 22 gal= 2,772 gal of fuel

2,772 gal x $3.80/gal= $10,533.6 in fuel for term. That’s about $3,511 a year in gas. IF it doesn't go over $3.80/per gal.

Sport Trac 16 MPG City: (average increase in fuel of +3 MPG)

12,000 miles per year for 36 months

22 gal fuel capacity

16miles per gal x 22 gal = 352 gal per tank.

12,000 miles / 352 = 34 tanks per yr.

34 tanks x 3 years= 102 tanks for term.

102 tanks x 22 gal= 2,244 gal of fuel

2,244 gal x $3.80/gal= $8,527 in fuel for term. That’s about $2,842 a year in gas. IF it doesn't go over $3.80/per gal.

Under 12,000 miles a year of driving for 3 years you will save $669 and that breaks down to $223 a year.

It looks like the Xcal III will take about 1.7 years to pay for itself in fuel economy savings.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like $379-$390 new from fastpartsnetwork.com. That includes 3 custom tunes built to your specs. Basically a MPG program, low octane performance and a high octane performance.

Go with the intake and exhaust first, then get the XCAL. Having just recently gotten my exhaust done and my intake installed, I can say that you won't get the full effect of the XCAL until you do those mods first.

Granted, it is more money to spend before you start seeing any MPG gains, but it is well worth it in my opinion. In fact, I am working on my second tank of gas after tuning with the XCAL, and I haven't even used 3/4ths of a tank and I have driven over 330 mixed miles. Normally I get about 330 miles before I have to fill up again. I am expecting over 400 miles on this tank. Food for thought :)

Thanks craig i was leaning to intake and exhaust also nut i know my driving habits im going to want to here the exhaust ie: foot on the gas !