Z-Max micro lube?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
Hey guys I asked once but I think it got buried by other posts.

I purchased a Z-Max Micro Lubricant Kit last weekend. Retail $40.00, on clearance for $7.50.

Thought I would at least give it a try. The Kit came with oil additive, fuel injector cleaner, and transmission additive.

My question is; will the transmission additive help or harm my automatic tranny?

There is nothing wrong with it now, but I do tow a 18 foot fiberglass bass boat often.

Thanks for any input.

Ranger Erv:(

All those bottles are an extra additive package for the fluid... All tranny fluid is the same base with different additives added to it....

It should do no harm to the tranny....

Todd Z

Todd, Im not generally an additive guy, although the royal purple bug got me, what do you think of the Z-Max? Of all of them, it seems like that might work (or they have the most convincing ads:))

The only time I use additives in an automatic trans, is to possibly cure a seal leak or slippage or other things. I only do this to get afew more miles out of it. I never use it in a good trans....I have an uncle that recently retired from chevron/texaco...He worked in research... he told me the only additives you ever need are fuel cleaners from time to time. Dont waste your money on others. He said the best results they ever had, was tests using Red Line synthetics.

Snake oil. Additives don't work. Any type of additive can be made to look like it works. Do 100 different tests and only show the ones that work the best in thier favor. It might not make that big of a difference, but the right chart can make it look that way.

Tom

The Federal Trade Commission has filed suit in U. S. District Court seeking to halt false and misleading advertising for zMax auto additives and has asked the court to order refunds to consumers who bought the products.

The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use synthetic oil, change your transmission fluid regularly and dump a can of injectory cleaner in your tank every 10K-20K miles and you can save yourself the $40 plus shipping charges. There is nothing in those additives that your Sport Trac needs.

...Rich

Latest posts