‘01, Job 2, 4x4, w/167k

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Hey everybody. 2nd owner, 23 years, and 167,000 miles later. Dad left it in the garage on the farm over winters, work horse in summers. It’s clean from the rocker panels up. I’ve had it in the cities for 6 months.
I have many questions!!!
For reference, mine has: 4x4, pwr driver seat/winds/locks, cruise, a/c, pwr rear wind, am/fm w/CD.

Attachments

• 72860100431__D39A018F-1553-4275-9BC2-2249F394420A.jpeg
    72860100431__D39A018F-1553-4275-9BC2-2249F394420A.jpeg
    4.8 MB
  • 72860098720__4C2ADD58-80CA-4D25-8DEB-DDF6A9E2A503.jpeg
    72860098720__4C2ADD58-80CA-4D25-8DEB-DDF6A9E2A503.jpeg
    4.8 MB
  • 72860108778__DF98D2E5-9B9D-4DBA-A14C-D2765E3A8560.jpeg
    72860108778__DF98D2E5-9B9D-4DBA-A14C-D2765E3A8560.jpeg
    4.2 MB
So I recently had to replace the alternator on my ‘01 Job 2. Im a cheapskate so I bought a used alternator online which was fine except for the fact that I wasn’t paying attention to the amperage factor. So I installed a used 90 amp alternator and as you’d expect it carried me for about a week before the battery completely drained. Realizing my mistake with the amperage I next bought a 130 amp re-manufactured unit from my local auto store. After installing the re-manufactured unit I drove the truck to the gas station 3 blocks from home & noticed the radio wasn’t powering up. So I messed with it for a few minutes at the station with no results. On the drive back, the display on the radio started to flicker along with the sound coming through the speakers. It seemed to be responding to the bumps and cracks on the road surface ans I drove. About a block from home the cabin filled with an overwhelming burning smell. I thought the engine caught fire! After that, no more radio, display or sound. All of the fuses in the cabin panel were fine but I went ahead & replaced 28 & 29 anyway. Still nothing. Everything else is working (windows, dash lights, dome & maps, overhead temp/directional display, etc) I feel compelled to mention that I got this truck from my dad who drove it around the farm its whole life. Never saw a snow flake! I know my dad & this radio had likely NEVER been used. If it was turned on at all it wasn’t very often & definitely not for very long. It sounded like it was brand new! The speakers are perfect (I hope they still are). Anyway what the heck happened?! I understand it’s a rarity to short out the radio but I can’t find much more info then that anywhere. The bummer is finding a new factory am/fm cd player to replace it. I’m hesitant to buy an aftermarket stereo and having it burn up too if there’s too much power being distributed to the radio wiring. I haven’t tested the wiring yet but all the function buttons are illuminated. Just not the display. Thanks for letting me ramble guys. Any thoughts?

So I recently had to replace the alternator on my ‘01 Job 2. Im a cheapskate so I bought a used alternator online which was fine except for the fact that I wasn’t paying attention to the amperage factor. So I installed a used 90 amp alternator and as you’d expect it carried me for about a week before the battery completely drained. Realizing my mistake with the amperage I next bought a 130 amp re-manufactured unit from my local auto store. After installing the re-manufactured unit I drove the truck to the gas station 3 blocks from home & noticed the radio wasn’t powering up. So I messed with it for a few minutes at the station with no results. On the drive back, the display on the radio started to flicker along with the sound coming through the speakers. It seemed to be responding to the bumps and cracks on the road surface ans I drove. About a block from home the cabin filled with an overwhelming burning smell. I thought the engine caught fire! After that, no more radio, display or sound. All of the fuses in the cabin panel were fine but I went ahead & replaced 28 & 29 anyway. Still nothing. Everything else is working (windows, dash lights, dome & maps, overhead temp/directional display, etc) I feel compelled to mention that I got this truck from my dad who drove it around the farm its whole life. Never saw a snow flake! I know my dad & this radio had likely NEVER been used. If it was turned on at all it wasn’t very often & definitely not for very long. It sounded like it was brand new! The speakers are perfect (I hope they still are). Anyway what the heck happened?! I understand it’s a rarity to short out the radio but I can’t find much more info then that anywhere. The bummer is finding a new factory am/fm cd player to replace it. I’m hesitant to buy an aftermarket stereo and having it burn up too if there’s too much power being distributed to the radio wiring. I haven’t tested the wiring yet but all the function buttons are illuminated. Just not the display. Thanks for letting me ramble guys. Any thoughts?
Hi RV. Most likely you had a frayed power wire to the radio that shorted out. Remove the 2 nuts holding the bezel in. Disconnect the battery and pull the bezel out carefully. See if you see any burnt wiring behind the radio. Good luck with your truck.

Latest posts