'01 2x4 Sport Trac Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Ki

Reaction score
'01 Sport Trac trans slips going from 2nd to 3rd and it becomes increasing worse when the car warms up.

Can my trans be going bad already at 72,000 miles?? If not what could the problem be??

Thanks.

Ray

Common problem unfortunately...

It is called 2-3 flair....

On the 01 there was a bad valve body gasket issue and the valve body it self...

GET IT LOOKED AT NOW !!!.... this will destroy the tranny.....

Todd Z

why, yes.....

The valvbody is actually the same...

There are 3 numbers

UPPER gasket 2L5Z - 7D100 - BA

LOWER gasket 2L5Z - 7C155 - AA

BUT, the complete SERVICE PART NUMBER IS # 1L5Z - 7Z490 - HA

I would get the service part if changing it because of the leakage....

Todd Z

Rayk5799 I had the same problem about 2 years ago. Took it to Ford and they fixed it for right at $300. That was around 64K I now have 95K no problems.

So, is this a job a regular shmoo can do or is this inside the tranny where boneheads should not poke around? Just asking as, if this is as big of a problem as you folks say, I would like to get this done ASAP.

Thanks.

blert,

Have a shop do it.....

Todd Z

Todd....Thanks for all the info. I used to be a GM mechanic but haven't worked on a tranny in a while but do you think that I can change the valve gasket or just take it to a mechanic?

Have it done sooner than later.My tranny had to come out and have some of the "innards" replaced. Luckily a family member knows transmissions and I got out of it for $340.00. Can't imagine what the dealer would have charged. I was at around 62k. Been fine since and I don't anticipate any more problems. Good luck.