01 4.0 head gasket

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Yatkowitz

Reaction score
I saw some atifreez on the ground a week ago, I finally had a cahnce to see where it's coming from. I thought it was the freezout plug but it looks like it's coming from the R/S head gasket. The oil looks fine and so does the antifreez. Any ideas I don't want a quick fix. Should I replace both heads as long as I'm doing the one? Or is it something else that is leaking, but it sure looks like the head gasket above the freezout plug toward the front.

If you absolutely feel it is head or head gasket oriented. Then you need to tear it down, get both heads magnaflexed (checked for cracks), take a good look at the head gaskets, see if there is an obvious failure.

If you see a failure or find the head is cracked, you know the answer...

If you find NOTHING, then you need to look very well at the top of the block to see if it cracked at an our water jacket allowing the antifreeze to leak out, but not contaminate the oil..

VERY odd for a head gasket to leak too the point that it actually is visible on the ground. I would be looking for other sources like perhaps a lower t-stat housing that is leaking and running back in the intake valley adn making it's way around the head gasket surtface.

Could be the PCV heater hose, or another hose too....

Todd Z