01 explorer sport trac idle problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh amante

Reaction score
hi, ive been checkin up on this website for a long time. theres so much useful information through the projects and forums.

i have a problem with my 01 sport trac. recently ive been having a very rough idle, has even died on me too.

ive used the ob2 sensor at autozone, the codes i got were p0171, p0174, p0300.

ive recently cleaned the IAC, changed the spark plugs (wires at end of this week), changed fuel/oil filter, used seafoam, and still im getting a fluctuating rpm during idle, usually between 500-1000.

so any help would be highly appreciated.

To lean banks 1 and 2 and a random misfire code...

IS your truck a job 1 or job 2.

There is a common vaccume elbow on the job 2 motor that cracks and causes the problems you have..

The job 1 motors oil fill is on the Drivers side and the Job 2 the oil fill is on the passenger side..

Here is the JOB 2 elbow..

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a Job 1 or a Job 2 Sport trac?

If it is a Job 1, the problem is not the vacuum elbow.

Tom

thanks for quick response.

this may sound like a lame question but how do you tell if its a job 1 or job 2?

unfortunately i didnt get to check the elbow while the sun was still up. i will definitely check it out in the morning and let you know how it goes.

thanks again.

It is simple to tell the difference. If your oil fill is on the drivers side, it is a job 1. If your oil filter is an FL1A, it is a job 1.

If your engine looks like this...

[Broken External Image]:

You do NOT have a Job 1 Trac.

Tom

There is a common vaccume elbow on the job 2 motor that cracks and causes the problems you have..

The job 1 motors oil fill is on the Drivers side and the Job 2 the oil fill is on the passenger side..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had the same codes and before changing the O2's I checked the vacuum hose and while it looked fine from the top, when I got it off and looked at the underside it had 2 big cracks in it. I was able to use a PCV elbow I got from Advance Auto, to fix mine (inside diameter of the hose is about 1/2").

So is the rough idle not a problem on the Job 1's or is it a different fix? The reason I ask is because a friend's 98 Explorer has had a rough idling 4L almost since new that the dealer had been unable to fix. Just curious.

Curtis,

Does it only do it when it is started cold? Does it lessen as the engine warms up or the weather get warmer. Does it not want to idle when cold?

Those problems point to the intake manifold gasket. Before you freak out, it is not that big of a deal to fix and the parts are cheap.

Tom

todd was right!

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. i'll have to replace it when i get home from work. are those elbow replacements easy to find? i would assume that they would have it at my local auto shop. any suggestions?

im so thankful for all your help todd. i was going insane trying to figure out what was wrong with my trac.

thank you all for youre suggestions. i will replace the elbow today and let you know how it goes. thanks :D

Josh the FORD dealer sells the whole pipe for about $25. but they don't stock it...

YOU can use a 5/8 inch PVC elbow from the parts store..

Regular heater hose will work as a "QUICK" fix, but it will go bad after a while..

Todd Z

Curtis,

It could be that the gasket is so bad, it leaks all the time. That would be my guess. Without me physically looking at it, I can not tell you for sure, but my money is on the gaskets.

Tom

just replaced the cracked elbow. ouch, it was pretty bad. for now, i just picked something up from the local autoshop until i order the piece from FORD.

ive been driving it around and so far everything has been going perfect. there was 1 time when the car died for a second and the battery light came on. but it started up right after. does the A/C have anything to do with it?

well thanks for all the prompt responses, so very very very helpful. hopefully all goes well. thank you. :D