'01 Job 1 reliability

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul McDevitt

Reaction score
I'm torn between an 4wd/25k miles/$15k and an '01 2wd/86k /$7500. Both are pristine, the '01 had oil changed every 3k with Quaker State dino, the 03 with Mobil1 Synthetic. I have read a few posts here about '01 engine failures. I'm curious about the other side of the story. Who has an '01 job 1 with high miles that hasn't had engine issues, other than timing chain rattle? I will put less than 10k miles a year on this vehicle, if that. Mostly local driving, with a couple of trips of 400-1200 miles.

Thanks for the replies so far, but I'm really looking for comments on the reliability of the '01 job 1 only. There are many other factors here, but that is the one I'd like your real experience with. Thanks!

Do you have an 01 job one (or did you), how many miles are on it, and have you have engine problems that required rebuild/replacement?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me, I'd go with the one that makes more sense. Do you live in a place that you might need the 4x4? With low miles on it, it would be worth, b/c it very well could still be under factory warranty or might apply for a extended warranty. And also does a payment of $15k sound good? Gotta key in all the factors. I'd just go for the newer one with the lesser miles with the option of having the 4wd, just in case you ever might need it. I own a 4wd 04. But even though the prices on theses aren't too bad, might be worth it to just a newer one.

I have an '01 job one with 57,000 on it. had the chains done and it runs awesome! I had a '97 Explorer with the same motor and I had the chains done on it at about the same milage and it had 120,000 on it and still ran like new. Check out explorer4x4.com there are a lot of them out there with many miles.

But, that being said, I still may go with the newer one with less miles and 4x4.

01's did have an issue with the timing chain, Ford has replaced many at no charge depending on the mileage of the vehicle.

That said, I would NEVER own anything that is not either 4WD or All Wheel Drive. I live in an environment where I drive 120 miles a day in all types of weather including snow for about 5 months a year.

In your case, if the 2WD Trac will work for you, it is a saving of $7500, this is something you would be nuts not to look at.

It really comes down to if the 2WD will work for your needs. It is something I would not consider for one second, but if you will be driving it only part time as compared to daily, it is something you should consider.

I have 01 that I bought new in July 2000. It has a little over 61,000 miles. So far the only problem I have had is to replace the 4x4 switch. No engine problems, no problem with the timing chain. I have had it serviced every 3,000 miles at Dempewolf Ford and they have treated me good.

I have a 2001 ST got it from dealer at the end of September '01 currently 77,000 miles on it.

I'm the only driver and pride myself of taking care of my vehicles. Besides regular scheduled maintenance only replaced OEM shocks, tires and brake job at around 45K miles no other visits to the shop for any reason.

Thanks Ricardo. I am looking at an '01 2/86k, original owner/maintainer like yourself. He had the tranny rebuilt at 40k for 2nd gear issue. Underside is very clean, I hear no timing chain rattle as the engine runs at idle and various RPMs.

Hi there! I bought my '01 Sport Trac at Folsom Ford, CA and it has 187,000 miles on it and only one thermostat replaced (did it myself) and a snapped valve spring. Awesome vehicle!

have about 101k miles on my 01 job 1 with no problems to speak of, the thermostat failed while it was under warranty. all thats been done to it aside from that is regular fluid and tire changes.