01 Sport Trac Issues (tranny, squeeks)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Geller

Reaction score
Just picked up a 01 ST, and when I went out to it this morning there was tranny fluid on the driveway. Had a quick look and it seems to be leaking from the tranny cooler mounted in front of the rad. Is this a common issue? Also, what would be the best steps in fixing this? My wife needed it for work this morning so I topped the fluid up, and sent her on her way. It wasn't down too much. Any tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The o-rings in the quick disconnect fittings are the probable source of your leak. The fitting are easily replaced.

Great thanks for that tip, I'll change it ASAP.

I just get off the phone with the wife, and now she says "The front end is squeeking like a old mattress when i'm driving down the street. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger front"

Gotta love the way wives describe things. lol

Any ideas? (Not on the wife, but the squeek!)

"The front end is squeeking like a old mattress when i'm driving down the street.

That part sounds like ball joints...uppers or/and lowers....

As for the tranny fluid leak..you will need to determine exactly what part of the cooler is leaking..

..the fitting..the lines or the cooler itself..

Thanks for all the extremely fast responses! I just wanted to get the ball rolling in my head on what to look for.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again!

Now the check engine light came on while she was driving???

Any way to run the codes without paying a dealer a fortune?

I'm sure glad we got this ST for free. lol

The squeaking is more then likely the Ball joints, Sway bar or the control arms....

The Leak could be from the tranny cooler ripping off the rivets that mount it to the bracket and it wore a hole in it, OR the lines are leaking....

You can simply chuck in an aftermarket cooler and replace the OEM one or fix the bracket and leak.

The CEL can be checked with a cheep scan tool, OR most auto parts stores will scan it for free..

ALSO LET US KNOW THE CODE !!! Do not listen to the parts stores, We have a lot of codes and easy fixes, where shops replace thousands in parts...

Todd Z

So another update... I drove the ST last night and found a few things that puzzled me.

Went to start it up, it started, then died, started it again, same thing... finally 3rd attempt, started it, it tried to die, I gave it a little gas and it came to life.

Started I take it for a ride, I do the standard front end tests... tight circles, bumps, accelerating while turning and there is no play, grinding, or anything to worry about. I stop and when the front end reached it's lowest point, there's a very loud squeek, so I test this out by accelerating and stopping, and it squeeks constantly whenever there is weight on the front end. It really does sound like people having fun on a old squeeky mattress.

So here's what I need from you great people.

I would assume that the CEL is from the stalling on startup... What would cause this?

The squeeking is driving me crazy.. Is this bushings???

Thanks!

The squeaking still sounds like ball joints...the lower ball joints seem to go out on my Fords before the uppers do..they dont have grease fittings from the factory...replacements however do have them..

At 120,000 miles all 4 of mine were shot...and sounded just as yours do now..

As for the CEL...alot of things could cause that...best to do as Todd Z said and get the codes read at Advance or Autozone ( or the Canadian version of those parts stores)...then come back and tell us what code you have..

Last edited by a moderator:
The CEL is probably a DPFE or a vacuum elbow......

Let us know the code..

Todd Z

I skipped getting the code read (no one will do it for less that 65 bucks here in Canada), and took your advice and changed the DPFE (55 bucks), pulled the batt cable and the CEL was gone. Tranny leak was caused by loose tranny cooler lines, and it is all the balljoints that need to be replaced. Thanks for the info guys! You guys saved me 65 bucks! Paid for the beer I had to drink while working on the truck! :D