02 front end problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62236

Reaction score
Hey all,

I started another thread in here months ago. Can't seem to find it. My front end is horrible, sloppy, bumps are white knuckle lol, wet weather.... I'm glad I handle it well. A few weeks ago the drivers side started to squeak really loud. Up and down it's loud, and it seems to squeak just turning the wheel as well. Bearing ??

The factory shocks I know have to go, was wondering what else I should change out on the front end? it's an 02 with 170 thou km.

Any help would really be appreciated

Sounds like your ball joints are shot... Mine squeaked for awhile, about a month ago I put in new passenger side upper and lower control arms w/ ball joints.. Prior, the trac was wandering and very mushy... At 210k miles, I'm going through everything on it so it drives like new again. Today i'm doing the passenger side control arms (which I'l have to cut off, like the other side), and perhaps a new fan clutch, because the trac overheats if idling w/ the A/C on....

I agree with STanner....You are probably way past due for an entire front-end rebuild to include ball joints, new shocks, new control arm and sway bar bushings. I would not be surprised if you need new wheel/hub bearings too. Unlike 2x4's with conventional wheel bearings that can be greased and adjusted, 4x4's used a sealed bearing hub that cannot be serviced...you just replace them.

...Rich

I would rebuild the front end all at once. I pieced mine and that was a mistake. Would have been much better to do it all at once and not have to worry about it.

I'm not sure how mechanical you are but the font end is not difficult to rebuild. I also have had much better luck with OEM parts holding up. If you shop around you can get Motocraft for not much more than aftermarket.

If you have a 4X4 and your ABS is working OK you can wait on the wheel bearings. But if your going to keep the truck and you have the originals on I would do them also.

I would do at a min the lower ball joints, tie rod ends, sway arm ends, sway arm bushings, and shocks.

My 01 is doing good since I rebuilt the front end with 185K on it

I agree with the others. Do to both sides what you find worn out. It wont be long and you will be replacing the other sides parts anyway.

All I can say, after this weekend, is if you live in the salt belt, you'd better have a smoke wrench to get control arms off the trac... I am SO sore today.. Had to literally CUT the @$#^!@#$^$& arms out of my '02..... .... GRRR!! Once out, I had to CUT the arms apart to get the torsion bar out. I did the passenger side last month, and I though that was hard.. Had to grind the head of the LCA bolts off, and use the nut and stack washers to pull the LCA bolt out a little at a time. with a breaker bar. on my back.:angry::fire::cry::fire:

Agree. With that many miles, at the very least you will need new shocks and ball joints. Probably tie rod ends and wheel bearings and all the bushings.