02 Sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed petrush

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2002 XLT Sport Trac. Does anyone have any things I should be specifically looking at? is there any thing inherently bad with this year? Any suggestions would be great... :D

XLT denominations were not available on the '02, I think they're on '03 and newer.

I have an '02 Premium package ST, no big problems so far. I guess that standard caution should be used like with any used car. I don't trust Carfax, if you have a trusted mechanic to check the truck before buying would be a good idea.

There are several reports of Transmission failures, some requiring a complete rebuild, smaller issues are the DPFE sensor, crappy shocks, and several more that you can catch by reading the board messages.

So far I am very, very happy with my ST.

I bought a 02 with 62K on it in May.

So far , So good.

As far as I can tell the only work done to it was a Tune-up and DPFE sensor.

I had a Mechanic check it out, It cost me $35 but gave me Piece of Mind.

I have a [2] 600 - 700 mile highway trips on it already.

These Trucks are awsome on the highway.

Good luck

Jim

Remember the cruise control fire issue Nelson brought that up for us on 6/16 Black is ok Red is change immediately! :cool:

If ya don't mind saying, what did you pay for your '02? I have one with nearly identical miles and have been contemplating all kinds of things with.

Thanks.

R Shek

'02 4x4 38K miles. At 29K, warranty replaced the alternator due to the whine that occurred during 10°F and below outside temps. Love it!!! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. And welcome to the site!