'03 4x4 Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Johnson

Reaction score
Just got a 2003 S-T but need some help, when I try to switch to 4L or 4H all I get is a clinking sound from the interior passenger side wheel well, like a switch or solenoid trying to activate, has anyone come across this, does it sound like an electrical fix or something else? The truck has 90,000 miles and runs great in 2W and getting good gas mileage. Thanks for any insight! Tj

Will it go into 4wd hi from regular 2wd ???

If not it sounds like the 4x4 controller is shot...

Project to install..

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/4x4ControlModuleReplacementProject.pdf

IF it goes into 4wd HI and not low... there is a procedure to get it into low, It does just not go in..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Todd, no it won't go into 4wd hi or 4wd low, when I switch it I get nothing but that passenger side solenoid clink sound about 3-4 times then the sound stops. Tj

The clicking usually means the solinoid/controller is working. However, the motor on the transfer case might be a problem. After 3-4 times, is there an overload that trips if the motor on the transfer case does not work?(I'm not sure about this one). Have someone throw the switch and GENTLY tap on the motor. Corrosion builds up on the shaft and sometimes will not let the motor turn.

I am with ChrisT on this one. The clicking you hear is the electronics actually working. Most likely you need the tap of a hammer to free it up.

Thanks All! This Sport trac was just bought used, the price was so good, not having 4x4 wasn't a big deal, however, following some help here and, pulling off the net an owner's manual, I resolved the problem. The 4x4CM was working as you indicated, I then checked the Xfer motor and discovered it had no power, so then using the new owner's manual I began to check out the fuses and discovered 2 things, 1 the fuse for the Xfer motor was in an unused slot and 2 the:) fog lights fuse was missing. Problems solved, however after researching on the net, it seems that one day I may need to change that 4x4CM like others!

Thanks again! TJ

Glad to hear you got it fixed! I have a '03 with 104000 miles and have not had a problem yet with the 4x4(knock on wood!).:rolleyes: I do engage the 4x4 about once a month on a straight road, and I think that helps keep it lubed up. As for the controller/solidoid, I think that's like any other electronic part, sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you don't...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts