03 Rear window

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

83Explorer!

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I was wondering if it would be possible to stop the rear window at any point, like on most regular windows? As is, it will vent, that's a nice feature, it will go all the way down and all the way up, but sometimes I want the rear window open a little bit more than the vent and a little bit less than all the way down. What kind of wiring would I have to do to get this to happen?

Inasmuch as the rear window motor must be synced with the OBC by a routine performed with the ignition switch (when the motor is replaced or becomes un synchronized) I’m thinking that would be a bridge too far.

I didn't realize that the window motors were synced to the OBC. How do would I do that? Would that let me stop the window at any point?

I’m guessing that the motor only has two positions and the OBC receives one of two signals from the button, either push or twist, then telling the motor what action to take. It logically follows if window’s up, push = short turn down and twist is all the way down. And vice versa. But I’m just a software developer major so it’s a good guess.

I didn't realize that the window motors were synced to the OBC. How do would I do that? Would that let me stop the window at any point?
At least yours is still working. Mine went out over a year ago and I still can't get an aftermarket replacement. I only know about doorman making it and they haven't made any in over a year 😢

Is it possible to run a new circuit to the rear window motor and bypass or replace/use the existing up/down switch to control the window? Would this code out the BCM?

At least yours is still working. Mine went out over a year ago and I still can't get an aftermarket replacement. I only know about doorman making it and they haven't made any in over a year 😢
Time for a trip to the nearest pick-n-pull salvage yard to retrieve another one.

Is it possible to run a new circuit to the rear window motor and bypass or replace/use the existing up/down switch to control the window? Would this code out the BCM?
I don't think bypassing the switch would throw an error but I'd be more concerned about the motor being capable of more than two positions.

I don't think bypassing the switch would throw an error but I'd be more concerned about the motor being capable of more than two positions.
Hi Larry. Maybe an on off on switch with motor polarity reversed!?!

Just a thought here, but much like the front window auto feature is a learned position, as well as the sunroof, I wander if using a stick and extra set of hands to stop window in initializing mode to create a bigger vent opening you are seeking? All can be done without computer I believe. I do know it can def me trained bc all they use is a sunroof motor for the rear which has a couple of modes alike. It’s possible to change in forscan I’m not sure. I know u can change the output on my 2016 MKz some components with windows, but that doesn’t mean it will work for this application just talking out loud.

I successfully did just that using 2 "5 pin relays". Now my rear window works just like any other power window. All the wires are already there. I did have to cut the harnesses in the back. And solder wires directly into the motor. Been woking perfectly for months. I can see if I still have my notes on thant and write something up.

20240705_091917.jpg

20240705_091905.jpg

20240705_091851.jpg

If I took better notes I could have told you what wires to connect to, Darn. I checked and I never took Pics. Anyways Its possible for sure :cool:

BCswi.png

The factory up/down switch has this same circuit. Just ignore the push button wires. Really no need to dissasemle dash (update actually you may have to add 12v to the switch, cant remember) . I could check the wire colors and note them if anyone wants them.

Last edited: