03 ST won't start in mornings... Need to keep gas pedel to the floor for it to fire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
This is happened atleast 6 times do far this year. It will turn over but not fire. In order for it to fire up I need to keep the gas pedal to the floor. It will back fire, black smoke then run fine for a couple of weeks. I tried fuel system cleaner and have the fuel filter change twice. I have a FIPK K&N. ST has 39000 miles.

if it wont start in the mornings then just wait until the afternoon... muahahaha... i know I'm soooooooo funny.

as for your problem... Im sorry I dont have a solution.

Check your fuel pressure regulator. My wifes Pontiac did the exact thing RIGHT before it wouldn't fire at all.

Black smoke is fuel. Blue smoke is oil. White smoke is coolant.

Here is why I say the fuel pressure regulator.

When starting a vehicle, you fuel injectors fire. If you flood the engine, you press the pedal to the floor and the computer shuts the injectors off. That is why it then fires up and will run fine after you get it to fire.

Replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Tom

Clean the IAC ????

Todd Z

If the fuel pump was bad, he would not be able to start it. Black smoke indicates too much fuel, not a sign of a fuel pump.

Tom

Is the fuel pressure regulator something I can tackle myself???

I cleaned the battery terminals in the fall and had the fuel filter replaced at 30K miles. The fuel smell is pretty bad once when its turning over but not firing and without putting pressure on the pedal.

Its black smoke like burning fuel. I tried a bottle of Techron about a month ago and had success where it started every morning through about 3 tanks of gas.

you probably have leaking injectors that are causing the trac to flood, just like in the olden days of carburetors... check them, and your fuel pressure as mention above...

As stanner said, check everything over. If you smell fuel, is it coming from under the hood or the tailpipe.

Tom

I agree with Todd. Clean the IAC. That's what meters the air going into the engine when the throttle is closed. If it's closed or blocked no air is getting in until you step on the gas pedal then you have excessive fuel that has dumped into the cylinders and that produces the black smoke when it fires

..Rich

Actually I was looking at the project a couple of minutes ago. I will clean it and see what happens. Not a difficult project.....

I'll look it over tonight. If I follow the fuel rail, is the fuel pressure regulator on the rail?

The regulator is on the injection rail. it should have a vacuum hose connected to it. Check the vacuum hose connected to it. It might have a leak.

Tom