04 Model Recognition

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick T 2

Reaction score
I just bought this 04 Sport Trac. I didn't get any original paperwork for it to tell me what options or model. (other than XLT) It does not have two tone paint like most I have seen. Is this a certain model/version of the ST? Does the VIN have factory codes in it or is there a model info plate anywhere? Any info would be appreciated. [Broken External Image]: <--- hope the pic is here

Not much I can tell ya except nice looking ST. I've not seen a 2-tone ST unless someone had it painted like that. I can tell ya yours isn't a baseline model due to the painted cladding and upgraded rims. Does it have the full armrest and not the bag type? That's also an upgrade. ;)

Looks like a 2WD, 04 XLT Premium w/ optional OEM folding tonneau. If your head unit can hold 6CDs and has a sub behind the 40 bench, then you also have the Audiophile option. Also available in this year and trim are cargo bed extender, side-curtain airbags, leather seats, and moonroof. No way for me to tell but it either has 3.73 or 4.10 rear differential ratios, with or without limited slip.

The monochromatic appearance became available on 04 and 05 XLT premiums and Adrenalins. Otherwise, a Sport Trac will have gray, plastic lower molding. The B-pillars are also color matched but I'm pretty sure this is true of the 03s too. Since it's an 04 XLT Prm, it'll have the high-series console.

That's a nice Silver Birch Trac. Congratulations Rick.

edit: ---

Here's some info from another thread:

The axle codes found on door sticker:

46 — 3.73 non-limited slip

42 — 4.10 non-limited slip

D4 — 3.73 limited slip

D2 — 4.10 limited slip

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

Axel code is D2.

It is 4WD

It has the 6CD stereo although not the MP3 one and a sub behind the rear seat.

What I called two tone paint is gray lower moldings I quess.

I think it is a factory tonneau (ignition key opens it) and does have the bed extender.

leather, moonroof, but no side air bags

sounds like I got an XLT Premium

I think your right there with the XLT Premium. I guess you're also right about the "two tone". Just never heard it put that way.:lol: Still gotta love the silver!;)

Welcome Rick, good luck with your ST. Now get your check book ready for some writing. Might want shocks, or sway bar or intake or Excalibrator ........... on and on and on! Like I just posted the other day, does it ever end?:p

Gary D. in CT

Welcome Rick.

I have an 04 XLT as well in a dark blue - monochrome as well. I like it that way.

The only thing I've done so far is a drop in K&N which didn't do anything that I can tell.

I need to save up for the Xcalibrator. :)