04 ST Fuel Filter Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lovell

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the fuel filter in their 04 ST? I looked in the projects section but that filter looks different than the one i got. The guy at the store said that there is 2 clips that i release with a small flat head screw driver to get the fuel lines off. is that correct? Or do i need a fuel line removal tool to get the lines off? Going to do it this weekend and want to make sure I have everything I need before I start. Thanks:eek:nline:

I have an 04 too and I recommend using a metal removal tool. I know the Project doesn't have the same filter but I remember still using it as a guide my first time 60K miles ago. I don't know how I came to neglecting this maintenance routine, as I recently read on the OEM maintenance log that the fuel filter is supposed to be changed every 15K miles.

Anyhow, I do remember having a hard time the first time. I was using plastic universal tools and so I got a metal one. Even then, I had a hard time getting the lines off. But after taking a break, I got them off. I did remember removing the fuse (according to Project), cranking the engine and letting it stall, unscrewed gas cap, and let Trac sit overnight to release any pressure to minimize gas squirting during filter removal. I was careful not to let fuel get on anything (especially paint and frames).

At 90K I'm way over due to change my filter also, but I recently purchased a filter from the dealership and plan on installing it within the next few days.

I wish I had a pic of the removal tool in my library, but here's the filter from the first change:

[Broken External Image]:

Several different types of removal tools, this design is preferred by many.

Highly recommended you spray and flush the fittings with penetrant and

compressed air prior to removal.

If needed use a wide blade screwdriver to compress the tool into the fitting.

Be safe and good luck.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Motorcraft FG-1083 filter has 3/8" fittings.

Confirm the proper size with an open ended wrench.

(If there is enough space, can't remember now) LOL:banana:

My removal tool looks very similar to swshawaii's pic. Mine has "Performance Tool", "W83131", and 3/8" stamped on it.