'04 Trac front alignment? Is the shop trying to trick me??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
The shop wants $86 to align the front end, which I can handle, but they said it's another $67 for caster / camber kit, and $88 labor to install, saying "will take us 3 - 4 hours". I thought 2002 and newer didn't use caster / camber kits? and instead you could add washers? Is it possible they're trying to trick me? If the '04 (2WD) does need / use a caster / camber kit, is it relatively easy to install myself? (If I buy my own kit, a shop will NOT install it, at least not here in CA). I could install the kit, and take in for alignment. I've searched YouTube and have not found a Sport Trac video on this, just the Ranger. Are they the same front suspension? I recently replaced front sway bar end link bars / bushings, an easy job. Thanks.

2003 and newer. if they don't know about it, they are just trying to get money out of you.

Evans Tire on Convoy in San Diego had a "free alignment check" offer. See attached. They insisted that I need a "$240 camber kit" and after they install it, they will align the vehicle ($99). I tried to tell them that an '04 is not supposed to need a kit.
The printout they gave me (attached) indicates:
(red) -1.3 deg. Camber (green) -1.1 deg.
(green) 2.3 deg. Caster (red) 2.9 deg.
(green) -0.03 deg. Toe (red) -0.28 deg.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need washers? A "camber kit" like they say I need? O'Reilly's sells the Moog Camber/Caster Adjusting kit for $65.62, but no shop will install customer-supplied parts anymore.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 122EvansAlignEst.pdf
    306.8 KB · Views: 42
  • AlignmentCheck122edit.pdf
    10.7 MB · Views: 43
They will not take your parts because they make the $$$ markup of replacement parts. I just had a front diff seal leak, seals themselves priced at $45 each, and a cool 5+ hrs labor.
I later saw the seals at less than 15 clams each. Yet another shop I’ll be avoiding. Why did I study in college soo hard, I should have made a better choice of a technical automotive trade school. Might have been better money, and happier to boot!!

The shop wants $86 to align the front end, which I can handle, but they said it's another $67 for caster / camber kit, and $88 labor to install, saying "will take us 3 - 4 hours". I thought 2002 and newer didn't use caster / camber kits? and instead you could add washers? Is it possible they're trying to trick me? If the '04 (2WD) does need / use a caster / camber kit, is it relatively easy to install myself? (If I buy my own kit, a shop will NOT install it, at least not here in CA). I could install the kit, and take in for alignment. I've searched YouTube and have not found a Sport Trac video on this, just the Ranger. Are they the same front suspension? I recently replaced front sway bar end link bars / bushings, an easy job. Thanks.
I got my 2004sporttrac aligned recently. It ended up being $115.00 and that's with him saying one side needed a couple of washers to align it properly....
I was happy with it.

Latest posts